Chapter II

WHAT GOOD ARE HEALING POWERS IF YOU CAN'T FIX YOUR OWN HEADACHE?

Though that was the burden that came with healing others' ailments. Today it came in the form of Lottie scrapping her knee with Sophia sneakily stifling the pain and a small boy smacking his head during the train ride coming home. Though that last one was mostly due to the fact he was screaming for five minutes straight before Sophia brushed her hand over his hair and soaked in the injury.

Now she was suffering the consequences.

Packing away some clothes for the night, Sophia was more than eager to go over to Lottie's as an excuse to get out of one more dramatic talk with her dad over the Oscorp trip tomorrow. He'd been spitting acid all week over what she needed to do while there for the two hours her class would be exploring the place. It was getting a little ridiculous.

6:15. Lottie should be here in a bit.

Throwing the duffel bag over her shoulder, Sophia gave one more check over everything and crept down the stairs. Idris was likely just coming home from work and she hadn't heard her dad come in. So maybe she'd—

"Where are you heading off to?"

From the kitchen, her towering father walked out with grilled cheese in hand, lazily biting into it.

"I told you this morning that I'd be going over to Lottie's tonight. She wants help getting ready for tomorrow since, you know, she'll be working at Oscorp soon enough."

"That's right, you did. Sorry, I haven't really been all here today," he said, pointing towards his skull. "Now tell me the rules."

"Really?"

"Sophia Reseda Rambeau."

"Fine—don't use your scary Dad tone on me," she sighed, slinging off the bag. "No going anywhere without my teacher. No speaking to any scientists unless called upon. No drawing attention to myself. No using my powers."

"And?"

There was a pause before she answered, "No mentioning Mom."

Serena Rambeau was one of Oscorp's most esteemed scientists before her untimely death when Sophia was only a year old. A car crash outside of the city that took her life one March evening while on errand for Oscorp. In the rare moments that she was able to get any information about her mother out of her father, he would always mention that her mom had been way too good for him. That the second the brilliant scientist walked into a room, everyone knew she was special. And it only took seconds for her dad to realize he wanted to hear his name coming from her lips forever.