Chapter XIV

FIVE DAYS HAD PASSED

Though Sophia only knew because of the way the men and women in lab coats announced the date and time aloud towards the hanging security cameras recording their 'sessions.' It was the only warning she had before they began their prodding and incisions.

Every cut against her skin hurt, but instead of tending to a crying child in agony, the scientists observed how quickly the cuts would heal due to the severity of the wound. Sophia thrashed and screamed when one hypothesized cutting off one of her fingers to study if it would regenerate. But the second she got too loud, too rebellious--that's when the threats would begin.

The first was anesthesia. Which was something Sophia almost welcomed during their first few tests. Until quickly realizing that her body's powered metabolism would only bring her back to reality all too soon--forcing another thick needle in her neck. Until she woke up to get another. Again. And again. And again.

The second was Lottie. Since she'd awoken, there had been no sign of her friend. But their threats to begin running tests on her were enough to keep enduring the pain they inflicted. She would always heal. Lottie might not.

Sophia's eyes felt shriveled and dry from staring into the surgical lights hanging loosely above her head. There would be no way she could enter any sort of clinic after this--if she would even get out of this. She'd had hope that she might. But there had yet to be any sign that help was close to arriving. Her phone, bag and clothes had been destroyed. Every part of her identity was eradicated. Not one person referred to her by name, only 'subject.' Every minute she spent strapped to icy iron only made her mind sink deeper into itself.

Until all that was left of her was drowning in sticky, black ick.

The click of the door's locks made her tendons lock in place.

"October 17th, 2016. 1700 hours. Test subject seems to be in a state of distress. Body's response to the last injection resulted in secretion of the sudoriferous glands, shortness of breath, and increased muscle spasms. However, it is important to note that the previous dosage given was equivalent to an amount enough to kill any large creature in a matter of minutes."