Chapter XVI

NORMAN OSBORN WAS SICK

Crammed within a remote location within New York, the once-great scientist and CEO of a multi-billion dollar company was in a panic, forehead damp and mind aching. What had he done to that young girl?

Harry's friend, no less. That poor girl . . . what she endured from his colleague must have been inhuman. He practically watched Sophia Rambeau grow up alongside Harry. Why had he agreed to it?

It's for the good of all, Norman.

Norman staggered back at the sudden, gritty voice echoing inside the room, followed by a string of manic cackles. "Not again. Not again . . . " Gripping his head, Norman tried blocking out the voice that plagued him just as he'd done these past few weeks by locking himself away from the world ever since Oscorp was overrun by the police and he was proclaimed 'missing.'

Stopping against the wall, Norman wiped the sweat from his brow when he was assured the voice retreated. "No one is here . . . No one is here with you, Norman."

Stop pretending, Norman.

"Who said that?!" He screamed, crawling across the walls of the bedroom. "Answer me!!"

Silence followed. A lump in Norman's throat only grew larger, his gaze falling upon the nearly empty whiskey bottle on the nightstand. Rushing over, he raised a shaking hand to grip a glass, using his other to pour in an unsteady fashion, even spilling a little bit of the amber liquid on his worn trousers.

Throwing back his head, Norman downed the glass, bringing his face back to its neutral direction, right in front of a mirror where he was met with his own reflection--but a twisted, warped version of himself. One with the smile of the devil.

Don't play innocent with me, Norman. You've known all along . . .

Norman's reflection moved its lips, even changed its expression while the real Norman remained stunned. Was he going insane?