Chapter XV

SOPHIA RAMBEAU WAS AN EMPTY SHELL OF A PERSON

It had been two weeks since she was rescued by her friends and the Spider-man within the walls of Oscorp. Though she might as well still be there with the flashes of surgical tools and needles and burning that sprang up in her mind, stunning her from doing even the smallest of tasks like brushing her hair. So it seemed the logical answer was to stop doing . . . anything.

Chief Rambeau was there the second Spider-man, Lottie, and Harry raced out of Oscorp, prying her out of the masked hero's grip as if he were the one inflicting harm onto her the past week.

"S-She needs a hospital. I can--" Spiderman started.

"I know what my daughter needs," Emanuel snapped, nodding his head to signal another unit to move inside. "Search the building. Bring in anyone you find for questioning. Anyone. Go!"

"If they see a woman with auburn hair and glasses, she's the one to bring in! I think she was behind whatever they were doing to her! She may have--"

"Kids, I'll need you to report to Officer Bolton over there," he said, pointing to a woman in uniform leaning against a police car. "Give her any information you have and then go home. Harry, I suggest somewhere besides your apartment. I've already got some officers there searching the place for Norman."

"He can stay with me," Lottie answered before Harry could mention his father's absence. "Shouldn't we be with Sophia though?"

"No," Emanuel said, holding back tears as he fully took in the broken state his only daughter lay in within his arms, knowing that if Serena were witnessing this, his wife would be ashamed that he hadn't gotten here sooner. God knows what they had done to her in this place. "No, I'll take her home. Let her rest. I-I'll call you kids when it seems like a good time to visit."

"She needs medical attention! What if--" Spider-man started before Emanuel threw a look that would make the tallest building crumble to its foundation.