43. MITCH MARNER | maple leafs

warning: mentions of abuse up ahead! if you're not comfortable with this, please do not read this imagine. i won't get offended in any way, i just don't want to make you guys uncomfortable! thanks! this is also a brother sister imagine :)

I pulled the hood of my Maple Leafs hoodie over my head in an attempt to cover up the bruises and cuts on my face. Walking through the busy Toronto streets wasn't a very good idea, especially at night when I am running from my now ex boyfriend.

The stars were shining brightly and street lights were illuminating the dark night. Looking back on my relationship, it was not a good idea. It was really smooth at first, and my former boyfriend was always a gentleman. However, around four months into our relationship, he started to verbally and physically abuse me.

However, I did a good job hiding my bruises from my twin brother, Mitch. Mitch is the stereotypical protective brother. He's only older than me by four minutes, but there is no doubt that he would do anything for me.

As I neared Mitch, Auston and I's shared apartment, I almost hesitated going inside. Mitch will be suspicious of me wearing my hood up, as I almost never do. I know that if I don't want to sleep here tonight, Kasperi or Nylander will let me sleep in one of their apartments, but I wasn't going to bother them at 10:30 at night.

I open the door, cautiously making my way into the apartment. Mitch is sitting on the couch, watching a re-run of Columbus's historic sweep against Tampa Bay. Hoping he doesn't notice me, I quickly make my way into the kitchen to start making some food.

"Y/N, aren't you going to come and say hi to your favorite brother?" Mitch asks, his eyes still glued to the TV.

Shit.

I freeze in my spot. This is not going to end well.

"Hi Mitch!" I yell from the kitchen, my eyes focusing on the pizza rolls I am preparing. Hoping he leaves it at that, I wait to see if he says anything else.

Having bad luck, I'm not surprised that Mitch yells for me again. "Y/N/N, Auston's went out and I want to spend time with my sister! Come on, watch the Blue Jackets game with me!"

I mentally cringe as he says that. It's over. Mitch is going to see right through my facade and notice the bruises all over my face and body.

I place the bag of the remaining pizza rolls onto the counter and hesitantly enter the living room. As I enter, Mitch flashes a bright smile towards me, but it quickly fades and turns into a confused look when he spots the fact that I am wearing a hood. I put on a fake smile and act like nothing is wrong.

"Y/N, why are you wearing a hood?"

"I just felt like it, I guess." I shrug.

"Please take it off, I want to see your beautiful face."

"I'm okay. If you want to see a beautiful face, just look in the mirror. We look exactly the same." I state, letting out a fake chuckle.

Mitch stands up and heads over to me, softly grabbing the hood of my Marner hoodie to pull it off of my head. When he sees my face, his bright blue eyes go wide. He gently takes my hand and leads me over to the couch, turning off the TV before asking what happened.

Soon enough, salty tears are running down my cheeks. Mitch brings me onto his lap and cradles me there, allowing me to gently rest my head in the crook of his neck.

"It was Y/B/N, wasn't it?" my brother asks me, his voice just above a whisper. Without any warning, I find myself nodding at the question. "Y/N/N," Mitch speaks again, "how long has this been going on?"

I just sob even harder. Mitch rests his head on top of mine, and I finally speak up, "Eight months. M-Mitchy, it was my fault, I-I always made h-him mad and-"

My twin cuts me off, "No, Y/N/N, of course it wasn't your fault. He doesn't own you, you're your own person. Anyone who treats another person like that is a waste of space. I swear I am going to beat his ass and show him not to mess with my sister!"

I quickly grab his arm, "N-No, stay. Please. I-I need you."

Mitch's gaze softens, "Of course I'll stay. You know I'll do anything for you, right?" he asks, and I nod. He kisses the top of my head softly, and I lean into him.

"Now, I'll text Auston and tell him to bring home some ice cream. Moose tracks, right?" Once again, I find myself nodding at the question.

"Let's watch the CBJ VS. Lightning, yeah?"

"Of course, sis."

Mitch turns the TV back on, still holding me in his strong yet gentle arms. I lean into him as we both watch Brayden Point tie the game, and then Oliver Bjorkstrand allow the Blue Jackets to take the lead.

After awhile of watching the game, I look up at my brother. "Mitchy?" I ask, my voice still shaky from the previous events.

"Yes?"

"If I had a star for every time you were there for me, I'd have an entire galaxy in my hand."

"I'd do anything for you."

As the historic game ends, I find myself safe and protected in Mitchy's arms. Soon enough, I doze off to sleep, and the last thing I hear is, "I love you, princess. Sweet dreams."

Boy, am I lucky to have this boy as a brother.

sorry for the bad ending! this is also unedited, so i apologize for any mistakes!

right now, i'm cuddling in marner's hoodie and wondering what we did to deserve this amazing boy.