61. MAX DOMI | blue jackets

max is literally an angel 😇

Sirius, Y/N Y/L/N's diabetic alert dog, came racing up the stairs and into Max Domi's bedroom. There he was, sleeping soundly, with his service dog, Orion, lying awake on the floor next to him.

Sirius's owner had recently been diagnosed with type one diabetes, which is a condition in which the pancreas produces no amount of insulin. It helped, however, that Max was her best friend, and he had been living with the same condition since age 12.

The sound of Sirius's deep barks filled the Montreal Canadiens decorated bedroom of Max. This alerted Orion, and so he began waking Max up. As soon as Orion alerted him, Max shot out of bed, his face dripping with sweat. The first thing the 24 year old did was check his own blood sugar levels, in case something was wrong with his body. Once the ice hockey player realized that he was okay, he turned to his yellow Labrador Retriever, "What's wrong, bud?"

Orion barked again, turning his small head so that Sirius, a black lab, was revealed to his owner. Sirius barked and scratched at the door, and Max's greenish-blue eyes went wide. He stood up from the bed, gently yet hurriedly grabbed Orion's collar, and followed Sirius down the stairs.

Once the 24 year old Canadian reached the bottom of the stairs, he rushed over to Y/N to see her sleeping soundly. However, she was shaking a bit in her sleep, and she all around seemed unsteady and unsafe, so Max jumped into action.

Max checked around in Y/N's backpack to see if he could find a glucometer, which would check her blood sugar levels, but he couldn't find one. He only found a couple t-shirts and pairs of shorts, but that wasn't relevant for the current situation he and his best friend were in. Luckily, however, he did find a small thing of glucagon and a syringe in her bag, and he brought his own glucometer down from upstairs, so he spared some time.

The only Domi boy rushed into his kitchen, quickly locating a tub of medical supplies. He fished around and found a alcohol swab before running back into the living room to help his best friend since birth.

Max checked Y/N's levels, which was at a very low 39. His eyes went wide again and he quickly opened an alcohol swab, cleaned the area of skin where he would administer an glucagon shot, inserted the syringe full of the glucagon, pushed down on the syringe, pulled out the needle, threw it away and then quickly checked her blood sugar levels again. They were slowly coming up to a healthy range.

The young boy sighed in relief as he watched her blood sugar levels come up to a healthy range. Y/N still looked unsafe, so Max decided to call an ambulance just to be sure. Pulling out his phone, he quickly dialed the three digits.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Hello, yes, my best friend is a type one diabetic, and her blood sugar and glucose levels were dangerously low a few minutes ago. They're coming up now but it still doesn't seem like she's safe so I wanna get her checked out."