62. MATT GRZELCYK | bruins

You thought you could make it ten days, you really, really did.

But you made it only a few hours.

You missed him, of course, but it was nothing like the need that you felt now, your hands shaking as you held the phone.

Your eyes were watering, because you'd already called him once and he hadn't picked up. You told yourself he could be in the shower, or maybe he was driving, or maybe he'd just gone outside to get some fresh air.

You knew he would call you back once he saw he missed your call, but you only made it about two minutes after you heard his voicemail message before you hit the redial button.

Actually.

Actually, you remembered, as you looked out the window, he had a team reunion tonight. Which meant, he might just be leaving his morning "reunion" skate. Or maybe he was just driving home home. Or maybe he was driving through a Dunkin Donut's drive through in Boston to get something to eat.

Whatever it was, it felt like he was living in a different universe than you. You tried over and over again to get your husband, Matt Grzelcyk, to pick up his phone. When, on the third ring you heard him pick up, you felt your heart steady.

"Hey, babe, hang on one sec, okay?" You heard Matt say, and you didn't even have time to answer him, so you just kept pacing, hearing voices and laughter in the background, followed by the sound of a door, and then there was silence. "Sorry," he said, the moment your eyes slid shut, and you took a deep breath. "I'm just at the rink. What's up?"

You didn't respond, putting all your focus onto inhaling and exhaling, your free hand coming to run over your face, and the settle on your back.

"Babe? Are you there or did you just butt dial me again?" Matt asked curiously. However, he was a tad bit concerned when you didn't answer him. You were eight months pregnant with a little baby girl and both you and your husband knew that you could go into labor at any given moment.

"Oh my... it hurts... it fucking hurts!" you exclaimed through the phone, your voice shaky and full of pain.

On the other end of the line, Matt quickly told his teammates Sean Kuraly, Jake DeBrusk, Charlie Coyle, Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo to shut up. The 2019-2020 NHL season was drawing closer and closer, so all the boys were back in Boston for the year. Practices hadn't started yet, but all the boys were beginning to arrive back in Massachusetts, whether that be from Dublin, Ohio, or Long Beach, New York, or Colorado Springs, Colorado, you didn't care, and at this moment, neither did Matt. "Baby, what hurts?"

You groaned and screamed out in pain, "Everything hurts! I-I... I think I'm going into labor, Matt." you explained through gritted teeth. Even though you couldn't see him, you knew that his beautiful eyes were wide open now.

"Uhhh... okay, okay, don't freak out. You're alright," he tried to sooth you, but you knew that he was more nervous and scared than you were, "Someone's there with you, right?"

"Y-Yeah, my sister's here. I-I don't know if you'll be able to make it home and then b-bring me to the h-hospital, so can you meet me there?" you asked, a few tears now rolling down your cheeks.

"Of course, baby. I'll be right there." he finished before hanging up.

MATT'S POV:

I rushed out of the locker room and back onto the ice after getting my Nike tennis shoes on and changing out of my skates. My beautiful wife was in labor, and she was about to deliver our baby daughter.

Truth be told, I was so nervous yet excited that I wasn't in the right condition to drive. So when I reached the ice, I yelled out the name of the first one of my teammates that I saw, "Carlo!"

His head snapped towards me, "What's up?"

"Y/N's in labor! I'm too scared to drive myself but I need to get to the hospital!" I exclaimed, my voice shaky. My 22 year old teammate immediately nodded his head and raced off of the slippery surface of the ice, and soon enough, we were off to the hospital.

YOUR POV:

"Ahhhh... it hurts!" you exclaim as your sister, Nichole, allows you to squeeze her hand. You were almost ready to give birth, but you really didn't want to without your husband being by your side.

Your older sister is about to say something, but she quickly gets cut off when the door bursts open and Matt rushes through, "Y/N, baby! I'm here!" he exclaims, and Nichole leaves the room so that the two of you can share this special moment.

Let's just say, 15 minutes later, your husband had a healthy baby girl in his arms. He cut the umbilical cord and smiled brightly over at you, amazed, happy, excited and proud that he was now a father. You smiled back, a few happy tears brimming in your eyes. After deciding on the name, Matt kissed your forehead before telling his younger teammate that it was okay to come into the room.

The next thing you heard was, "Meet your niece. This is Stella Marie Grzelcyk."

You looked up to see Brandon Carlo standing in awe, "She's so precious."

"Do you wanna hold her?"

"That would be a great honor."

You and Matt both watched as your daughter's new uncle gently held her in his arms, making sure nothing could ever hurt his new niece. He was whispering about how he'd do anything to protect her, just like your husband had done throughout your pregnancy.

Matt pulled out his phone and snapped a quick photo of Brandon and Stella and then sent it to him.

1996_carlo:what a perfect little girl <3 sweet stella marie, i love you already

1996_carlo:
what a perfect little girl <3 sweet stella marie, i love you already

1996_carlo:what a perfect little girl <3 sweet stella marie, i love you already

matt.grzelcyk:
to my wonderful and precious little girl, i am so happy and proud to be the man who is your father. from the moment i found out that your mommy and i were pregnant with you i fell in love. you're so sweet and i cannot wait to see what the future holds for you. i love you so much.

stella marie grzelcyk
born august 2nd, 2019, 9:21 am in boston, massachusetts
weighing 7 lbs 8 oz

i will forever love you.

sincerely yours,
daddy ♥︎

hi! am i proud of this imagine? no! however, is that really anything new?

anyway gamergirlT456 i hope you enjoy this! sorry it's so bad !! <3