55. MATHEW BARZAL | islanders

mat is such a cutie, i love him so much! also i'm proud of myself because i created this gif and i'm happy :)

It was the 2019 NHL All Star game, and you would be the first woman to be competing in the NHL fastest skater competition. You would be going last, and were hoping to beat out Connor McDavid, and break Dylan Larkin's record.

You played for the US national team and won gold for your team back in the 2018 Winter Olympics. You were still young; only 17 years of age last year, and you had just turned 18 a few days ago.

You focused your eyes on Clayton Keller, who was the one going. You were hoping he wouldn't crash into the boards like Miro Heiskanen did, because you had thought Miro had gotten seriously injured and he almost gave you a heart attack. Focusing back on Clayton, you realized that he had just finished with a time of just over 14 seconds.

Next came Elias Pettersson, who was hoping not only to beat Clayton's score, but to also beat Miro's time. It would be hard, in your opinion, but Elias was a good skater and you knew he could do it. As the time began, you watched anxiously as the Vancouver Canucks player skated around the rink as quickly as he could, ultimately placing in second behind Heiskanen.

"Hey, nice job, Elias," you cheered, placing your glove out for him to touch. He smiled softly at you, returning the gesture.

"Thanks, Y/N." His heavy Swedish accent fills his tone, and you nod.

After that, you watch as all the players go, including Cam Atkinson, Jack Eichel, Mathew Barzal, and Connor McDavid. You have to admit, you were quite fond of Mathew when he stepped out onto the ice. Not only is he really good looking, but he's a great hockey player and has an amazing personality, too. You were a little scared to compete at the All Star game, but the boys, especially Mat, immediately made you feel welcome.

Connor McDavid finished with a time of 13.378, and he had been the fastest skater for the past three years. He'd be difficult to beat, but you had been practicing a lot and your time when you practiced this morning was 16.290, which wouldn't be good enough. Not only that, Dylan Larkin's all time record was 12.894 seconds, and you needed to improve tremendously if you wanted to break it.

"You got this," Connor told you as he skated towards the bench, making you smile a little bit. Little did you know, Mathew was admiring you from afar. He thought you were beautiful; your Y/E/C eyes and Y/H/C hair enchanted him, and he couldn't wait to see you compete.

As you skated onto the ice, the butterflies in your stomach pounded. You tried to tell yourself that it would be alright, and even if you didn't win, you still made history by becoming the first woman to ever compete in an NHL All Star game event.

You got into position, "Go!"

As soon as you heard that, you began skating as quickly as you could. You blocked out all the noise in the arena, and just focused on completing the turns and finishing. You figured that you wouldn't beat Connor, but that didn't stop you from trying.

As you crossed the finish line, the crowd went absolutely insane. You didn't know why, though- not only was the crowd going insane, but so were the boys on the bench. As the announcer spoke up, you knew why, "Y/N Y/L/N finishes with a time of 9.68 seconds!"

As soon as you heard that, you smiled a big, big grin. The boys were still celebrating, and you looked over to see Mathew, his mouth wide open as he looked over at Connor. Auston Matthews was behind him, smiling and tapping his stick on the ground, David Pastrnak was clapping his hands, and Seth Jones stood there looking extremely happy for you.

You made your way over to the bench, and smiled at the boys as you went through a line of high fives. Cam Atkinson shouted, "You're amazing!" and you could hear Marc-André Fleury whisper, "I'm glad I don't have to face her on breakaways," to Kris Letang, both of which made you smile.

As you sat down next to Mathew, he just smiled, but he was still a little quiet. After awhile, he spoke up, "Great job, that was incredible."

You smiled at him, "Thank you, Mathew. You weren't too bad yourself."

He chuckled, "Thanks. Hey, uh... can I ask you something?"

You heart pounded. He just had a simple question for you, but you were absolutely smitten of this boy and thought he was amazing. You knew he would never feel the same way in return, but you held out some hope, "Yeah, of course. Anything."

"Uh... well, you're a great girl and I-I was wondering, um... would you like to come on a date with me? I-It's okay if y-you don't want to, I understand-"

You smiled, your heart racing. Maybe he did feel the same way in return! You chuckled softly at how cute he was, stumbling over his words because of how nervous he was to ask you.

You just kissed him on the cheek, "I'd love to, Mathew Barzal."

He looked at you, excited and shocked, "Alright! Does Monday at 6:30 work for you? That way we'll still both be in San Jose."

"Anything works for me. After all, I'm not going to miss going on a date with you for anything else." you told him, making his cheeks flush and smile.

"Awesome, Y/N."

Little did you know, Sebastian Aho heard the entire thing, and he was skating over to Pierre to grab a microphone. Once he got ahold of one, all you could hear was, "They're going on a date!"

"Prove it, Seb!" Jeff Skinner yelled from the bench, making everyone turn to you and Mat.

"Damn you, Sebastian." you playfully growled, and Mathew pulled you into a tender kiss. The crowd cheered, and you smiled. What a great way to end this already amazing day.