First Sight

The warm April air wisped through the open bay window, Estella sat on, reading her current steamy romance novel. Her stereo played 80s hair and she snuggled into the large pillow rested against her back. A gust of wind picked up, blowing her blonde hair about. Adjusting herself she glanced outside of the large mansion her family called home in Hewlett Bay, New York. Estella pondered a moment as she glanced at the long driveway, awaiting the person who was about to change her life forever.

Being the only child of one of the most prominent mafia leaders in the country, it was only natural her parents would want her to marry into an equally strong family. And that's exactly what was happening. An arranged marriage. Estella knew from a young age this would happen, and she had accepted her fate graciously. On one condition to her parents. He had to be a good person. He had to be a man who would treat her with respect and cherish her. She knew with the lifestyle she was borne into made it difficult for her future husband to be a 'good' person, but she wanted someone who was going to be good to her. Someone who would accept her for who she was. Estella considered herself a bit of a black sheep in the family, going for the punk rock route rather than her cousins who were into more modern-day lifestyles. Luckily her parents, especially her mother, agreed. Today she was going to meet her future husband. From what she had been told, it was the perfect arrangement. He was born in Italy and needed to gain citizenship in the states. Their marriage would guarantee not only his citizenship but ensure her family's legacy. Her father didn't give a whole lot of detail other than his name and what he did. Gabriel Assanti was a young doctor who was top of his class in med school. Having a doctor on hand was a huge advantage to the mafia. No questions, no worries. While cousins who were the same age were taking on their roles in the family, Estella was studying to become a nurse. She wanted to be able to help others and maybe be able to have something to bring her and her future husband closer. Her parents didn't argue with the choices she made as long as she accepted her role to bring the two families together and continue on the family legacy.

Setting down her book to the side, Estella noticed a large black SUV pulling into the gated fence. Her interest peaked as it got closer. 'That must be them.' Estella thought to herself as the car got closer and closer, stopping in front of the steps to the entrance. Looking down further, she noticed her father walking down with open arms and a large smile. Two equally tall men exited the SUV, shaking hands and hugging her father, Antony. One looked other, sporting a slicked-back black hair with streaks of grey. The other was much younger, after shaking hands with her father his eyes looked up meeting with hers. His piercing black eyes stared deep into hers then turned his attention back to her father as they were ushered inside. That had to be Gabriel and his father, George. Shutting the window, Estella eagerly went to her closet to change out of her lounge clothes. She hadn't expected them to arrive so early. Thumbing through her wardrobe, she finally settled on a black sundress with bright yellow sunflowers and a pair of black sandals. After dressing she ran a brush through her long silvery locks, letting it remain long. She dusted her bright grey eyes with a small amount of black eye shadow to make them pop. Her heart began to thump, wanting to make a good impression on the man she was going to marry.

Taking a last look Estella made her way to her father's study, where she was sure they would be meeting. As well as drinking a toast to their arrival. Propping her ear against the large wooden door, she heard voices and laughter on the other side. Noting they were on the other side, Estella opened the door and peeked her head in. "Ah, There she is! Come in Estella." her father motioned for her to enter the room. Stepping inside and walking up to her father, both men's heads turned. The older man's eyes twinkled with delight as he took a sip of what she assumed was scotch. That was always her father's favorite. "George, Gabriel." he nodded to each of them respectively, "May I introduce you to my beautiful daughter, Estella." Antony spun her around in a circle.

Estella's face heated up as Gabriel's dark eyes took her in. "Nice to meet you both. My parents have spoken so highly of you." she smiled brightly. There was something oddly familiar about him, but she wasn't able to put her finger on it. They had never met before.

George nodded in approval, nudging his son, "Ah, she is a beauty, Tony. Very well done, looks just like her mother. She will be a perfect bride for Gabe." It was a tradition for her family that in the event of an arrangement, the bride and groom didn't usually see each other until after the families agreed to the arrangement.

Gabriel sipped at his drink, eyeing her up and down, "Agreed, father. She is lovely..." his thick accent rolled off his tongue, making Estella's stomach flutter. Her eyes took him in as well. He was probably the most handsome man she had met in a long time. He was dressed in a black Armani suit. He didn't look like a doctor. He was as every bit a mobster as his father. A sinful smirk played on his lips. Estella felt her legs becoming Jell-O as he stared at her.

"Estella has been working on planning the wedding since you had agreed to the arrangement." Antony stated, sitting in the chair across from the gentlemen, "So you don't have to worry about a thing. It will go off without a hitch." he poured himself another drink and took a large gulp, the ice clinking in the glass. "At the Edison Ballroom, right Zucca?" Her father always called her pumpkin ever since she was a baby. She preferred that over princess or angel. She noted Gabriel's eyebrow raise at the nickname.

Estella nodded, "Yes...I have been planning it for a long time. But if there is anything you would like to have included; I will do whatever you want." she fidgeted with her hands behind her back, swaying side to side. She knew it was her responsibility to prepare the entire wedding, but it wasn't just for her. It was for both of them. And she wanted to include any ways to make it just as much for him as for her.

Gabriel held up his hand, dismissing her statement, "Whatever you want to do. As long as there is alcohol and music, everything is okay in my book." he relaxed against the couch. The three men chuckled. A knock sounded on the door and three women entered the room. One of which was her mother, Camilla. The other two were women she had never met before. 

~*Hey guys!! Here is the first chapter of The Mafia Doctor! I really hope you all enjoy it! This story should be quite long. I want to make it a little better than my last story. Updates will probably be slow, nursing school is getting pretty serious... Please let me know what you think, and please vote! And if you haven't read the Coffee Shop Trilogy, please head over and read it!*~

~*edited*~