Bonus Story: Loving the Feds (1)

Meanwhile...

With a flip of a switch, the computer system booted up and Fay let out a sigh of relief as she sat in the computer chair and spun around. Her copper curls whisked around her face from the bun she had secured before she began the tedious work of setting up the computers to the surveillance. Being in the IT department of the FBI was not always an easy task. But she was excited, this was her first excursion outside of the main building in D.C. She had only been in the department for 6 months, and had to prove herself in the man's world it seemed to be. Why she was picked to go with Simon all the way to New York when there were other well seasoned technicians, was beyond her. Simon. Her heart pounded.

Simon was an FBI officer, and damned good at his job, especially at 26. After joining the Army and serving five years, Simon joined the team; thanks to his father being part of the Bureau himself. Now he was a reservist and an agent. Following in his father's footsteps in both work and looks. Simon was tall, almost a foot taller than her 5'2 with a powerful build. Chocolate eyes that melted all the women in the office, dark brown hair that seemed to always look like a sexy mess. His lips...Fay stared up at the ceiling, never stopped smirking or smiling when he was talking. Simon was easy going but always took his work very seriously.

Sadly, like all the other women they worked with, she was under his spell. And her being here just set them off even more. A few of them even got pissy about the whole situation and tried to get her boss to pick someone else. Unlike those women, Fay kept her feelings to herself. She didn't swoon over him or stare every time he came into the room. Well...she didn't make it obvious that she was looking. Just small glances under her lashes when no one else was paying attention. It was pointless anyhow. Simon would never look at her that way. Oh well.

Cracking her knuckles she watched the computer screens load up before heading out of the tiny room where they had set up. The apartment was beautiful, mostly empty of course since it was only used for business. Fay made her way towards the large windows that showed the city below. It might not be the penthouse where the Assanti lived but it was stunning nonetheless. The Assanti...on the flight to New York, Fay had read up on the file. It seemed very strange that they were even bothering with this entire protocol. Normal marriages with Visa went through small officials, not the FBI. It seemed like they were monitoring because the father was the head of a huge pharmaceutical company, and they got wind of suspicious activity. The marriage between the Assanti and Romano happened very quick and they wanted to make sure things were kosher. Fay pressed a hand on the window and peered outside. It was snowing. A soft smile appeared and she watched as her breath fogged up the glass. This was her first big job, and she had to make sure she got any information she could. The moment she knew they were out of the apartment she made quick work of getting in and setting up her cameras and microphones using a set of blueprints her boss had given her to study. No blind-spots. Every inch of the place needed to be covered.

Her thoughts were jarred by the sound of bags rustling and the door shutting. "I'm back." Simon said setting bags of food on the counter. Snow fell off his dark hair and he let out a shiver. He had gone out when Fay went up to secure their equipment, not wanting to mess with her work, as she told him. She was funny about things and liked to work on her own most times. "I just got some instant stuff and a pizza. Figure we don't know how long we will be here so why get too much..." Simon shrugged off his jacket and put the few items away in the fridge. Plus there wasn't much in the line of cooking supplies, and neither of them knew if they would need to rush out to trail the couple or not.

"I finished setting up the computers, they are booting up and linking with the cameras." Fay turned her attention back to the snow falling. Anything to break her gaze away from the sexy man who was shuffling about in the kitchen and opening a beer. "You're drinking?" Fay questioned as she heard the click of the can top.

"It's freezing, and snowing, and from the call, sounds like they will be gone for awhile to her parent's house. The roads are just gonna get worse, why not take a load off? They will probably end up staying the night there." Simon offered her one of the cans.

Hesitating a moment she glanced back outside, averting his curious gaze. "I guess you are right." She smiled and walked over to take the beer. "I guess it beats staring at a monitor with nothing going on." Fay laughed a bit and took a drink. They hadn't talked much on the trip, she had been to preoccupied reading up on her intel.

"'Atta girl. I was beginning to think all you IT nerds were boring and never had fun!" Simon grinning his big goofy grin.

Fay looked away, a bit hurt by his comment. Sure they were really into their work, but they were forced to. One slip up could be life or death of National Security.

"Oh hey...I didn't mean it like that...it's just...whenever things go on at work, IT rarely come to office parties or stuff..." Simon placed a hand on her shoulder.

"No...it's ok, I mean you're not wrong." Fay brushed his hand off and made her way to the living room. Grabbing the TV remote she pressed a button, wondering if it worked or was just for show. To her pleasant surprise it did.

Simon blinked at her coldness, not used to a woman doing that to him he followed her. "So what are we watching?" He asked as she flipped through the channels to find something worth watching. Simon sat down and kicked his feet up.

"Just something to pass the time...I have my phone set up to alert me when there is movement in the penthouse." She settled for a Christmas movie. Why not? 'Tis the season. It wasn't like she had a family to spend it with anyway. Chances are they would be here through the holidays. Jim Carry's the Grinch was playing. One of her favorites. Normally she didn't care for the holidays, but she did love the movies.

"AHH Yea! I love this movie!" Simon swished his beer hand at the TV after taking a drink. "Nice!" He elbowed Fay in a playful manner. "Nice pick!"

Fay blushed a bit and rubbed her arm where he brushed against her. Stop it...don't let him see you blush. He is just being nice. Fay sighed and stared at the TV for a while before her mind wandered off. Simon was one of the coolest people in his department. Fay on the other hand...was now a mockery thanks to some of the not-so-thrilled women finding out she was still a virgin and letting it spread like wildfire throughout all departments. The monday she had come into work to have men left and right offering to "butter her muffin" or "Do her a favor". Just the thought made her blood boil. Being here with Simon just made it worse. Chances were, he knew too. Sure it wasn't common for a 24 year old to still be a virgin, but she just hadn't found the right guy. Well...no guy for that matter. Her head bowed and she sighed. Typical nerdy girl who couldn't get with anyone. It didn't help that she had given up on trying. Sigh...