Chapter 15

The two weeks before the sports festival went by quickly and soon, it was the day of the festival. I was in a waiting room with the rest of my class as we waited for the festival to start. That morning, Shiro and Ryu wished me luck and said they were going to get the best seats they could so they could cheer me on. It gave me a lot of confidence knowing they were going to be there rooting for me.

"Everyone, get your game faces on! We're entering the arena soon!" Iida announced, walking into the room.

I took a few deep breaths, 'I can do this. I can do this.' I told myself. I wasn't very worried about all the people that were going to be watching me, I was used to being in front of large crowds of people. But I was worried about how I would do in the events. I needed to do great, and knowing Shiro was going to be here made me want to win even more.

"Midoriya," Todoroki said, walking up to Midoriya and gaining my attention.

"Hey, Todoroki. What's up?" Midoriya asked.

"From an objective standpoint, I think it's fairly clear that I'm stronger than you," Todoroki said, suddenly. "However, you've got All Might in your corner, helping you out. I'm not here to pry about what's going on between you two. But know that I will beat you."

"What's with all these declarations of war lately?" Kaminari asked.

"Yeah." Kirishima agreed, standing up from his seat and walking over to Todoroki. "Why are you pickin' a fight all of a sudden? And right before we get started."

"We're not here to be each other's friends. Don't forget, this isn't a team effort." Todoroki replied, walking toward the door. I sighed, I think there was someone I meet when I was in elementary school that had a very similar personality to Todoroki. He would always sit by himself and say that he didn't need friends, but thinking about now, he was probably the one that needed friends the most.

"Wait a sec Todoroki," Midoriya said, causing Todoroki to stop. "I don't know what's going through your head or why you think you'd need to tell me that you'll beat me. And, yeah, of course you're better than me. In fact, you probably have way more potential than anyone else in the hero course. That's why you got in so easily."

"Midoriya, maybe you're being a little hard on yourself, and us," Kirishima said, trying to stop Midoriya from putting himself down.

"No, he's right you guys. All the other courses, they're coming for us with all they've got. We're all gonna have to fight to stand out. And I'll be aiming for the top, too." Midoriya said, his face full of determination.

Todoroki narrowed his eyes at Midoriya. "Fine."

* * *

"Hey! Make some noise, all you rabid sports fans! Get those cameras prepped, media hordes! This year we're bringing you some of the hottest performances in sports festival history, guaranteed!" Present Mic announced over the speakers. "I've only got one question before we start this show. Are you ready? Let me hear ya scream as our students make their way to the main stage! This first group is no stranger to the spotlight! You know them for withstanding a villain attack, the dazzling students lighting up your TVs with solid gold skills. The hero course students of class 1-A."

I followed my class out of the tunnel and into the field as our class was introduced.

"Uh, I didn't know there'd be so many people," Midoriya said nervously.

"I hope we're still able to give our best performances, even though all these eyes are watching us," Iida added. "I suppose this is just another aspect of being a hero we all need to get used to."

I shrugged. "Yeah. And it doesn't take that long to get used to it."

Midoriya looked at me with a confused face. "You make it sound like you've been in front of crowds this large before."

"Huh? Oh, well, u-um, I, uh... know some people that told me about it. Y-yeah, that's it." I said, laughing nervously.

"You do?" Midoriya asked.

"Y-yeah," I answered. And after a second I added, "And I've never really had trouble in front of big crowds."

Present Mic introduced all the other classes as we all walked to the middle of the field. When we were there, I moved a little ways away from Midoriya. I didn't want him to ask more questions that I don't want to answer.

"Now, for the introductory speech!" Midnight started. "For the student pledge, we have Katsuki Bakugo!"

'Bakugo? Why him?' I asked myself as Bakugo walked up to the microphone that was on the stage. I heard someone say he scored first in the practical exam and figured that was the reason.

"I just wanna say, I'm gonna win," Bakugo spoke into the mic. I sighed, of course he'd say something like that. But he could've put a little bit more effort into his 'speech'.

All of the students started booing him. Everyone yelled at how overconfident he was and that they were going to beat him. I watched as he stepped down from the stage and walked over to me.

"That was a wonderful speech," I said sarcastically to Bakugo.

"Shut up," Bakugo growled, clearly not wanting to deal with whatever comments I was going to say.

"Without further ado," Midnight said, gaining everyone's attention again, "it's time for us to get started! This is where you begin feeling the pain! The first fateful game of the festival!" She waved her whip around as a screen showed up behind her names of events that we could end up doing flashed by until it stopped on one. "What could it be? Ta-dah!"

The screen had the words 'obstacle course' on them and I looked at it with curiosity. "An obstacle course?"

"All of the classes will participate in this treacherous contest. The track is four kilometers around the outside of the stadium. I don't wanna restrain anyone, at least in this game. So as long as you don't leave the course, you can do whatever your heart desires. Now then, take your places, contestants."

I followed the crowd of students over to the starting line. I thought about trying to push my way up to the front of the mob but decided against it. It probably wouldn't do me much good even if I tried.

I took a deep breath as the countdown started. My heart started to speed up as I watched the three green lights at the top of the gate slowly go dark. Then, the last light went out.

"Begin!" Midnight shouted.