Chapter 36

"Hiromi, how's your arm?" Midoriya asked as we tried to figure out a way to at least stay alive before the other heroes showed up.

"Better than before, but it still hurts." I answered, glancing down at my arm. There was a sharp pain where the knife had been stuck in my arm, but it had mostly been numbed down my now because of the ice I put there, which was cracking. "And I'm still a little worn out from fighting the Nomu I ran into earlier."

"You fought a Nomu?" Midoriya exclaimed, obviously shocked by my statement. "How-"

"I'll tell you about it later." I interrupted, not very fond of wasting time with the Hero Killer standing in front of us.

"R-Right. You and Todoroki have already lost too much blood." Midoriya said as he activated his quirk. "I'll distract him, so you two support me from behind."

"That's a pretty big risk." Todoroki stated.

"We don't really have any other options." I said. I didn't really like this plan. Todoroki was right, it was a big risk, but there wasn't really anything else we could do.

"Yeah..." Todoroki agreed. "The three of us will protect them."

"Three against one, huh?" Stain said, regaining my full attention. The fear I had forgotten for the few seconds when we were talking came back. But I wasn't going to let my fear keep me from fighting. I was terrified when I fought the Nomu, but I had managed to beat that. So I just have to do whatever I can to keep from letting me and my friends get hurt. "It won't be easy."

Midoriya charged forward and leap between the buildings. I sent a few ice birds at the Hero Killer and when Stain had managed to avoid Midoriya's attack, Todoroki blocked him from getting to counter-attack. He jumped away from the ice when the ice birds I had created charged into him and managed to hit. Stain didn't seem too fazed by it though, because when Todoroki used his fire to attack, he was able to dodge it. I quickly created a ram that charged at Stain, but he was able to stab his sword through the center of the ram and shatter it. I winced as the pain in my arm became worse and the ice that was covering the wound shattered. Stain was able to cut Midoirya, but before he could do anything worse, Todoroki had used his fire to block him from attacking. I took a sharp breath as I created a smaller version of the dragon I used to defeat the Nomu and sent it charging through the air at the Hero Killer.

"You have to run..." Iida muttered from behind me and Todoroki. I glanced back at him for a second before pain shot through my body. Stain must've destroyed the dragon I had just created.

"You want to make your brother proud?" Todoroki yelled, as Stain paralyzed Midoriya again and started running toward me and Todoroki. Todoroki blocked his path, only for him to cut through the ice. I created another mini dragon and it ran into Stain, but he was able to stab and shatter it. Todoroki sent a stream of fire at Stain, who dodged it. "Then become the hero he wanted you to be!"

Todoroki and I sent out a constant stream of attacks in hopes that we could keep Stain back. But he was able to get close enough to attack and next thing I knew, Stain had thrown another knife at me and it hit me in the side and he was about to slice Todoroki with his sword. Pain shot through my entire body, but I fought through it as I tried to somehow keep Stain from hurting Todoroki. 

Time seemed to slow as Stain's blade came inches away from Todoroki. Horror filled me as Stain's blade nearly hit Todoroki. "Recipro Brust!" Iida came speeding past me and kicked Stain's sword away from Todoroki before he kicked Stain and launched him backward. That kick also seemed to have broken Stain's sword.

I breathed out a shaky sigh of relief. The fight wasn't over yet, but at least Todoroki hadn't been hurt. And now Iida was in the fight.

"You're moving again!" I exclaimed. I pulled out the knife that was in my side and winced before covering the wound in ice just like I did when I pulled the knife out of my arm. But the ice seemed a lot thinner and it almost hurt to use my quirk. It kind of felt like I could pass out. The only thing that seemed to be keeping me from doing that was the fear of dying if I left myself defenseless. And if I passed out, my friends would have to worry about protecting me, and I didn't want to make them have to do that.

"Hiromi, are you ok?" Todoroki asked, looking at the bleeding cut in my arm and the now iced over the cut on my side.

"I'll be fine." I stated, taking a deep breath. "Stain's quirk isn't as great as it seemed to be."

"Todoroki, Midoriya, Hiromi, this has nothing to do with you, and I apologize." Iida said, gaining my attention. I was about to say something before he continued, "That's why I can't allow you all to suffer any more than this."

"It's no use trying to act like a real hero. A person does not change so easily. You will never be anything but a fake who prioritizes his own selfish desires. You are an infection to society that twists the idea of heroes." Stain said, her murderous eyes narrowed. "Someone must set you straight."

"You're an insane fundamentalist."Todoroki told Stain before saying to Iida, "Don't listen to the logic of a murderer."

"No, he's right." Iida replied, his words catching me off-guard. I didn't really expect Iida to agree with what Stain said. After all, Iida's only reason for being here was so he could kill Stain. "I have no right to call myself a hero..."

"Iida-" I started, but Iida continued what he was saying before and cut me off.

"Even so... I can't give in. If I give in, then Ingenium will die." Iida said.

Stain ran forward, but before he could get close, Todoroki moved Iida out of the way and shot fire at Stain, blocking him from getting near us.

"Idiot! The Hero Killer is after me and that kid in the white armor. Don't fight back. Run away!" The hero, who I had kind of forgotten about said. He was still paralyzed, which surprised me, with Iida being freed I thought that he would be too.

"I doubt we'd be able to have enough time to do that without him killing us." I retorted, a little annoyed that this hero, who had been laying there this entire fight doing nothing was all of a sudden trying to tell us what to do. I knew he couldn't move because of Stain's quirk, but still.

Todoroki stopped using his flames and Stain took that chance to try to make a move. But Todoroki started blocking his path toward us with ice. I used that time to also made a few ice birds, which was the only thing I could really make at this point, to attack Stain. I winced as Stain shattered each one and noticed that the ice on my side had shattered too. This was too much for me, but I couldn't stop fighting. I had to do whatever I could do try to help.

"Hiromi, freeze my legs!" Iida ordered, pulling my attention away from Stain. "With plugging up the exhausts."

"What?" I yelled, having no idea why I wanted me to do that.

"Just do it!" Iida said.

"Ok." I crouched down near Iida and placed my hands where his engines were before freezing them over. I felt pain shot through me as I used my quirk, but I didn't let that stop me. Then I watched as Iida used some super version of his recipro burst and charged at Stain. Todoroki had stopped using his fire now and Midoriya was able to move. Both Iida and Midoriya charged at Stain and I watched as Midoriya punched Stain in the face and Iida kicked him in the side at the same time. After a second, Stain quickly grabbed his sword and attempted to slash at Iida, but missed. Then, Iida kicked Stain again before Todoroki shot some fire at him.

Todoroki created some ice and Midoriya and Iida slid down and landed near me and Todoroki. I looked up at Stain to see him motionless on some ice.