Chapter 43

"So when is this guy getting here?" Shiro asked as me and him played a two-player puzzle game. It was the weekend and after my argument with Ryu, he ended up letting me have the weekend off. I hadn't talked to him since then, he's been locked in his office doing work or something. 

"In, like, an hour." I answered, setting the controller aside when we completed the level.

"He's only staying for an hour or two, right?" Shiro questioned as he took the control I had just set down and disconnected it so he could play a different game by himself.

"Yeah, so maybe you can use that time to do some studying yourself." I said.

Shiro rolled his eyes, "Whatever." Then, after a few minutes, he said, "He's the guy who figured out your secret, like, forever ago, right?"

"Yeah." I replied, leaning back into the couch and getting on my phone.

Shiro didn't respond and after a while, I got up and went into my room. I had just over half an hour before Todoroki would get here. I didn't really know what I should be doing to prepare for our little study session so I just stacked all the stuff I would need on my desk so I could take it out to the living room when Todoroki got here and not have to look for everything.

There was a knock at my door and I looked up to see Ryu standing there. I narrowed my eyes and he let out a sigh, "Listen, I don't want to argue with you. I just want to let you know that, after your summer camp thing, I want you to do a concert in Esuha. It's nothing big, but you haven't had any performances lately, and I've been getting some emails from fans. I know the hero thing is important to you know, and I know I've been a bit of a jerk about everything lately-"

"'A bit'?" I interrupted with a sour tone. "That's an understatement."

"Right..." Ryu paused for a minute. He looked a bit ashamed of himself. I guess he finally realized how terrible he's been lately. Before I started school at UA, he wasn't nearly as mean. Sure, he would be annoying occasionally, but it was never this bad. Something must've been stressing him out. Probably the fan emails he mentioned. Thought that doesn't excuse him from being a jerk to me for the past month. "Anyways, I'm going to call your school to make sure you'll be able to do the performance... As long as you want to do it."

"Yeah, I want to." I answered. I was a bit shocked that he asked, usually he'd just sign me up for this kind of stuff and force me to deal with it. It was nice to have a say in this stuff.

"Great. I'll update you about that when I can get a date set." Ryu then hesitated before continuing, "Your friend is coming over soon, right?"

"Yeah. Probably in 20ish minutes." I replied, picking up my phone to check the time.

"Ok. I'll be in my office if you need anything." Ryu went to walk away, but stopped and added, "Try not to let Mai see him. She's been helping me with some stuff, so she's here right now. But you know how she'll get if she sees you with a boy."

I rolled my eyes and laughed, "Yeah, I know."

Ryu flashed me a smile before he walked out of my room and back to his office. I let out a long sigh and fell back on my bed. Wow, I thought, I just had a conversation with Ryu where I didn't want to scream at him. That's new. I sighed again and picked my phone back up. I probably had around 15 minutes before Todoroki got here, so I stood up and walked back into the living room. Shiro was still playing his game when I walked out, but he was on his phone instead of actually playing it.

"I'm going to have to kick you off that in a few minutes." I said as I sat down on the couch next to him.

"Whatever." He muttered, not looking up from his phone.