Chapter 32

"So, this morning, you'll be training with me in the training room until lunch. Then, after we eat, we'll head out for a noon patrol. Once that's done, I'd like to talk to you a bit more about what you said yesterday, about wanting to know the best way to manage hero work and another job. Depending on the time, we'll either do a bit more training or go on one more patrol." Aries informed as I stood in front of her desk. I was in my hero costume and she was telling me what we would be doing for the day. After she finished her short explanation of what the day was going to be like, she stood up from her desk. "Now, let's not waste any time and head to the training room."

I nodded and followed Aries to the training room. Once we were there, Aries turned to me, "I believe working on your limits would be the best thing to work on today and possibly all throughout this week. It seems to me that using your quirk for so long and at a higher skill level is harder for you than it is for some of the other students I saw at the sports festival. Have you really ever pushed your quirk past its limits before going to UA?"

I hesitated, a little nervous to answer that question. "No... I haven't. I didn't really use my quirk that much before coming to UA. I mean, I knew how to use it and had some experience, but not nearly as much as some of the other people in my class." I earned a slightly confused look from Aries. She was probably wondering how I got in if I wasn't that great at using my quirk. Thinking about it now, Ryu must've done something special to get me in. Clearly, just a normal recommendation wouldn't have worked. He must've talked to Nezu about it.

"Well, I think it's best if you work on extending your limit. You need to work on making it so that your ice won't take as long to shatter on its own. Your ice should not be breaking on its own because you've reached your limit. So you'll work on that." Aries said before gesturing to the open area in the room. "Why don't we start slow. Create two rams, and have them move around the room."

"Ok." I replied before creating two rams and had them move around the room like Aries told me to do.

"Now, you'll do this for ten minutes before making it harder." Aries said.

I nodded and avoided showing how annoyed I was. 'Ten minutes? Is she crazy?"

10 minutes passed and it had already seemed like we had been going for an hour.

"How are you feeling?" Aries asked.

"Tired." I answered with a bit of annoyance before taking a deep breath and adding, "But nothing I can't handle."

"Good. Now, create a cage around the two rams while keeping them moving." Aries instructed.

"Ok." I took a few deep breaths before creating an almost completely transparent dorm around the two rams.

Aries nodded in approval and after a few minutes she said, "Are you feeling more tired now?"

"Yeah." I stated.

"Do you think you can have the two rams fight?" Aries questioned. She obviously wanted this to be as hard on me as possible.

"Um, yeah, sure." I narrowed my eyes and focused on the two rams. After a second, they ran at each other inside the small dome. Each time they collided I felt a slight pain in my body, nothing too bad, but enough to make this much harder. I was able to keep them fighting without shattering either one for about 5 minutes before one started to crack. I took a deep breath, feeling a lot more tired. Just having the two rams trying to destroy each other was draining my energy, but, while I didn't really have to focus on it, keeping the dome from shattering was only adding to the difficulty.

"Alright, have them stop." The second Aries said that both rams froze mid-run. "You're clearly getting much more exhausted. We haven't been working on this for very long and you're already getting worn out." Aries sighed, slightly disappointed. "Take it easy for a few minutes, but make sure not to let them break."

'She does realize that just keeping them from shattering keeps me from 'taking it easy'.' I thought with a sharp breath, which I could see.

After the next few minutes, which seemed to last way too long, Aries added to my trouble, "Why don't we change things up a bit. Break one of the rams and replace it with two different creatures. What they are is up to you."

I nodded and then let one of the rams break. It felt like a weight that had been lifted off my shoulders. But that feeling was replaced with more exhaustion the second I created two different ice animals like she said, one a small bird, and the other a lion. I glanced at Aries, who gave me an approving nod. But I immediately felt my body growing colder than it already was. Each breath I took could be seen in front of me and I felt my fingers and toes start to go numb. Aries didn't say anything, maybe she noticed me reaching my limit and wanted to see how much longer I would last before the ice dome and the ice animals inside it shattered.

A minute passed. I felt the ice starting to crack, and I was about to let it all shatter when Aries said, "You're at your limit. But your goal is not to simply reach your limit, but to go beyond it. Do not let anything break. I will tell you when you're done."

I wanted to yell at her, tell her there was no way I could do that, but if I moved my attention away from the ice, I was sure it would shatter. And Aries seemed like a person who would get really mad if I messed up. I took in a cold, shaky breath. I felt like my body was going to freeze, and I wouldn't have been shocked if it did. But before that could happen, one of the animals, the ram, shattered. Pain shot through my body and I couldn't keep the other ones from breaking along with the dome. I stumbled backward and fell to the ground, no longer able to stand. I knew Aries most likely had a disappointed look on her face, but I didn't find the strength to lift my head. I violently rubbed my arms in an attempt to warm them, but it didn't do much.

Aries sighed. "Here." She walked up to me and draped a cotton blanket over my shoulders. I quickly pulled it around me, already feeling myself warm up. Then, Aries continued. "Warm yourself up and then we'll try it again."

I took a few deep breaths, wishing that she wouldn't make me do that again even though she just said she would. This was probably the most I've used my quirk besides the Sports Festival. Doing stuff like this was hard.

After just over 30 minutes, I was finally really to get back to trying. Aries smiled at me, and it almost seemed like she was looking forward to torturing me. "Alright, let's continue."