Chapter 23

"Begin!"

Bakugo didn't waste any time rushing in and aiming an explosion at me. I quickly created a wall of ice that blocked his attack. Though it shattered when Bakugo used an explosion on it and I moved behind Bakugo and backed away. Bakugo mostly had short-ranged attacks, so it would be best for me to keep my distance and attack from further away.

I created a few birds with my ice that flew at Bakugo. He easily destroyed them and started charging at me again. Stomping my foot on the ground, I blocked his attack with another wall, but instead of running away this time, I created more birds and a large bull, that charged at Bakugo. Once again, he was able to create a large enough explosion to shatter all of the ice creations.

"These ice animals aren't going to be able to do anything against me!" Bakugo yelled as he ran at me.

'He's right, how am I going to be able to even get a single hit on him if he keeps destroying my ice so easily? He has to reach his limit eventually, but I doubt I'll be able to last that long without going past my limit. So then what can I do?' I thought, panic swirling inside me as I tried to think of some way to defeat Bakugo. But you don't get much time to think on the battlefield, and Bakugo proofed that fact by aiming an explosion at me while I was thinking. I was about to block it with more ice when the explosion hit me. I grunted as I was knocked backward, but I was somehow able to stay on my feet. 'There's so much force behind his attacks, I can't let any more of those explosions hit me.'

Bakugo ran at me again, not wasting any time in between attacks. I barely had enough time to block his attack with more ice. I created a ram and it charged at Bakugo. He destroyed it with another explosion, but I created another one, that ran at him just after the other one was shattered. That one was shattered by another explosion and I created one more after that, which was also destroyed. It was like my ice was too thin to do any damage to him, but I had no idea how to fix that. Another explosion came my way and I didn't have enough time to block it. I winced as I stumbled backward and almost lost my balance. I would've fallen out of bounds if I hadn't stopped myself with some ice. It was the same trick Todoroki used, and I thought it would help me stay in bounds, which it did.

But I had to move, I couldn't let myself get backed into a corner. I narrowly dodged Bakugo's next explosion and ran around him. He quickly turned around and rapidly created explosions aimed at me. I was just barely able to create layers of ice walls just before the explosions hit me that was just barely thick enough to stop the explosions from hitting me. But the walls of ice were getting thinner as I continued to create them and the last explosion, which seemed to have more force than the other ones, that or it just seemed that way because it was able to break the ice and hit me. I was pushed back by the force of the explosion and fell to the ground.

I was somehow able to stagger back up, but I was reaching my limit. I was starting to feel colder and a lot more tired. It was slowly becoming harder to breathe and my breath visible, showing just how cold I was getting.  It also was starting to hurt whenever I moved. It was becoming hard for me to use my quirk. Every time Bakugo destroyed the few ice creatures I had managed to create and send at me, it hurt. The feeling of reaching my quirks limit was new for me. Before I joined the hero course, I rarely had to use my quirk for much of anything.

I wasn't made to fight as a hero like Ryu wanted me to. Maybe with enough training, I could, but that wasn't what I really wanted to do. Sure, I wanted to be able to spread hope into the people around me, and being a hero would help me do that. But, in all honesty, I felt I was better off just being a singer. Even if I had found a way to become a hero that doesn't really fight villains, I doubt I would be much help. I hadn't been trained for becoming a hero and I had very little experience actually using my quirk.

When I first discovered it when I was four, I had been so excited and had shown it off to everyone I could find. And at the time, my dad was still alive. He was the happiest he had ever been since my mom died when he found that I had my mom's quirk. He had told me about all the tricks my mom could do and even tried to help me learn them. He had said a few times that I was just like my mom.

For two years, my dad had been so happy. It was the greatest thing that had happened to me. Seeing him actually take care of himself was great. But then my brother got his quirk. My dad had been so disappointed when he found that Shiro had inherited his quirk. I never figured out why, but I had always thought it was because he expected Shiro to also have some form of our mom's quirk, especially since it had taken a year longer for his quirk to show up than it did mine. And after that, our lives became miserable. My dad soon died in a drunk driving accident and Ryu took us in. Shiro felt like it was his fault, and we became distant. He would rarely talk to me and left the room whenever I walked in it. Everything just fell apart.

Bakugo used another explosion just as I got back on my feet. I had no time to react to it and, in panic, I created a few ice birds. But that was the wrong thing. I needed to create a wall or something that could stop the explosion from hitting me and instead I just created the first thing that I thought of. The explosion hit me and as I flew backward from the force. I saw the ice birds shatter before Bakugo even used an explosion on them. Proof I was at my limit. I fell to the ground and I tried getting up, but pain shot through my body as I tried to move. Not only that, but I was also getting colder by the second from using my quirk too much so it made it much harder for me to move. I wasn't able to keep going.

'I have to get up. I have to keep going.'

After one last failed attempt to get back on my feet, I let my body fall limp and the world around me slowly faded into darkness as I drifted into unconsciousness.

-Author Note-

I still can't believe it. Last week, I hit 5k views! I really didn't think that this many people would care to read this story. It means to much to me. Thank you all for just reading this story and supporting it! This story has gotten so much farther than I ever thought it would.

Again, thank you all for being so supportive of this story! You all just reading it makes me so happy!

Either way, I feel kinda bad for making Noriko go through that. I had a bit of trouble with when I wanted her to reach her limit since she a singer, she doesn't use her quirk for stuff like this. But I think this chapter turned out good, despite the fact that Noriko got pumped by Bakugo and she still has to do a short singing performance after this. But she'll be fine.

Anyways, I'll see you again next week!

-Starlight