Chapter 39

I woke up the next morning really early. The sun wasn't even up yet and the clock on the wall read 5:30. I sighed, knowing I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep. I sat up and leaned against the bedframe. I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and started looking on the internet that said anything about what had happened last night. Surprisingly, I was only able to find a handful of news sites that had recorded the attack live.

Sighing, I turned my phone off and set it back down. Then I laid back down and tried to get at least a little more sleep.

I laid awake for about an hour and a half before I got back on my phone and started looking through social media and doing other things on my phone to pass the time. I ended up watching a good amount of youtube, and before I knew it, over an hour had passed.

There was a knock at the door and I turned to see Aries opening the door. "Hey, how are you doing?"

"Aries?" I questioned, shocked to see her. "Oh, I'm fine."

"I heard what happened. I'm glad you're ok." Aries said as she stepped further into the room. "You have another visitor."

I looked at the door to see a tall man, who had the face of a dog walk into the room. "Hello, I'm Hosu's chief of police, Kenji Tsuragamae, woof." My eyes widened. I didn't think the chief of police would come out here himself to talk to me. "You are one of the UA students that took down the Hero Killer, right?"

"Yes." I answered with a small nod.

"When we arrested the Hero Killer, he had fairly serious injuries. Burns and broken bones. He's now receiving treatment under strict guard, woof." Tsuragamae explained. "Since you're a UA student, I would assume you know that when quirks were still becoming the norm, the police had to make sure that quirks were not used as weapons. Then, the profession of hero emerged to help the police with them being permitted to use their quirks, woof. For a person's use of force and power that can kill to be officially accepted is thanks to the early heroes who followed the ethics and rules of the profession, woof. Even while against the Hero Killer, for uncertified individuals to use their quirks to cause injury without specific instructions from their guardians or supervisors is a clear violation of the law." I narrowed my eyes at him. He was basically telling me that what I had done was illegal and that I had broken the law. But if I couldn't just watch as my friends were getting attacked by a murderer and Tsuragmae had to have realized that. "You, Aries, the other UA students you were with and the pro heroes they were supposed to be interning with must receive strict punishment."

"What?!" I blurted out. I didn't mean to say anything, but hearing that just angered me. I would've said something else, but Tsuragmae continued.

"That was the official opinion of the police, woof." Tsuragmae said, confusing me. "And the punishment would only happen if this incident was made public. If this were made public, you and the other UA students would probably he heroes in the eyes of the public, but you would have to suffer the consequences that come with the people knowing what happened. But if this is not made public, the burn scars would support Endeavor being the hero who took down the Hero Killer, and it would end there, woof. Thankfully, there were little, to no witnesses. So this violation can be crushed here."

I nodded. "So you're saying that as long as the public thinks Endeavor beat the Hero Killer, then me and my friends don't have to worry about being punished for breaking the law?" I asked, making sure I understood what he was saying.

"Correct. But you won't receive any of the praise you would most likely get from the public." Tsuragmea clarified.

"I'm fine with that." I didn't need any more publicity anyways.

"That's good to hear. I didn't want to be the one that would ruin the future career of a promising, upcoming hero." Tsuragmae said. "I have to go talk to your classmates about this, but as long as they are ok with the circumstances, then everything will be resolved."

"Thank you." I said, slightly bowing my head.

"Your welcome, woof." Tsuragmae replied as I lifted my head. I watched in surprise as he then bowed himself. "And as someone who also protects peace. Thank you."

About a minute later, Tsuragmae left the room and Aries walked over to the bed I was sitting and sat down next to me. "Did you hold up ok last night? During your fight with the Hero Killer?"

"I- Sort of..." I stared down at the floor. "But after I got stabbed in the arm, it started getting a lot harder to use my quirk. I don't know if it was because I was in pain, or if I was still worn out from fighting that Nomu or if it was a bit of both. And then I was stabbed in the side..." I moved my hand to where I had been stabbed in the side. Underneath the hospital gown, the injury was covered in bandages and I couldn't really feel it anymore. "Then it hurt to use my quirk. A lot. And when Midoriya got picked up by that flying Nomu, I tried to send something after it... Anything to try to keep my friend from being hurt, but I couldn't do anything. I only ended up hurting myself..."

"You need more training." Aries stated. "You'll probably be here for at least another day or two and when you get back, you probably won't be able to move around too much. So I'm gonna give you some homework." I internally groaned at that. I had so much stuff I already had to do, adding whatever 'homework' Aries wanted me to do to that list was not something I wanted to do. "It's nothing hard. I just think it would be good for you to spend at least 20 or 30 minutes every day working your quirk to the max, like we did during our training sessions. Over time, it should really help you improve on your limit and how long it takes before using your quirk starts to hurt."

"I'll try to work on it." I said.

Aires stood up and smiled. "That's all you need to do. Now I'll see you if you're able to leave here before the end of the week."

"Bye." I waved to her as she walked out of the room and closed the door. I sighed and grabbed my phone and texted Shiro about what Tsuragmae had told me. I know that by telling Shiro I had kind of told the public. But I did it before I was told not to say anything, and he was really good at keeping secrets, so I doubt he'd tell anyone. This was one of those very few times I was a little glad that Shiro didn't really talk to people at school. And I felt bad about thinking that, but it was true. If he had more friends, which he needs, he might feel a little more pressured to tell them about what happened. But since he only really had, like, one or two friends at school, I wasn't too worried about it.

Soon, I found that me getting no sleep had actually made me really tired and I still felt sore from everything that happened yesterday. So, after a while, I was able to fall asleep.