Chapter 16

Everyone ran into the small tunnel. Some of the students tried to speed their way to the front, but were, with everyone running as fast as they could, it didn't seem to make too much of a difference whether or not they were at the front of the crowd or back. Everyone was pushing and shoving each other so they could get ahead. I was a little scared of getting shoved to the ground, if that happened, I would be trampled.

Seconds after everyone had crammed into the tunnel, Present Mic started his commentary. "And we're off to a racing start! How 'bout some color commentary, Mummy Man?"

"How did you talk me into this?" Aizawa said.

"What should we be paying attention to in the early stages of the race?" Present Mic asked.

"The doorway," Aizawa answered bluntly.

I immediately got pushed into the crowd and started working my way to the front. I froze the ground around me, freezing anyone that was near me in place so I could get by easier. Soon, the temperature dropped and almost everyone was frozen in place. It must've been Todoroki's doing, but luckily, it didn't affect me. I used this to my advantage and made it out of the tunnel. Once I was out of the tunnel, it was a lot easier for me to skate across the trail of ice.

Soon, we ran into the next obstacle, robots. I skidded to a stop and stared at the huge robots in front of me.

"Oh. Enemies have shown up out of nowhere! I bet we're in for a treat here! A test of strength and cunning! It's a robot inferno!" Present Mic yelled.

"Wait, are those the zero villains from the practical test?" I heard someone say.

"Everyone else had to fight these things?" I asked out loud, shocked. "How does the school even pay for something like this?"

I watched as the robot leaned forward, and Todoroki froze it. Then he ran forward and passed the frozen robot. I heard some other people talk about following him, but I stayed behind. I knew that he must've frozen them the way he did on propose because it was on an angle and falling forward.

"That's Todoroki for class 1-A pulling ahead to an early lead with a devastating display!" Present Mic announced. "Amazing! He's one we should watch. It almost seems unfair! Thoughts?"

"His attack was both offensive and defensive," Aizawa said.

"No wonder he was let in on recommendations!" Present Mic yelled. "He never even fought those robot infernos before, but they didn't stand a chance against his chart-topping moves!"

"Wait, I think someone's trapped under that robot!" Someone said a minute after the dust cleared.

My eyes widened when I heard that. I looked back at the fallen robot and saw Kirishima pop up from under it. "I'm alive!" He shouted

I let out a sigh of relief, before realizing I was wasting time by just standing there and ran pasted the robots. A few other robots tried to stop me, but I easily froze them and continued running forward. Some other students were close behind me. But I stopped when I saw the next obstacle.

"For those of you who thought the first obstacle was easy. Let's see how you feel about the next one." Present Mic announced. "If they take a spill they're out! If they wanna pass this test, they'll have to get creative. It's 'The Fall'!"

I watched Tsuyu jump and land on the rope and easily climb across it.

I heard someone chuckle from behind me and turned around, "Yes. Finally. This is my chance to show off what I can do. My support items are gonna steal the spotlight from these wannabe heroes." Then, she raised her voice. "Everyone! Observe what my brilliant gadgets can do! Wire arrows and hover soles!"

"You're from the support course," Uraraka stated.

"Hey, how come you got to bring all that stuff?" Mina asked.

"Students in the hero get all kinds of combat training for their quirks. To keep things fair and give us a fighting chance, we're allowed to bring whatever gadgets we have as long as we made them from scratch. So sit back and enjoy the show!" The girl shot out one of her wired arrows and it hooked into one of the pillars. Then she used it as a grappling hook-like thing and made her way to the next pillar.

A few other students ran forward and so I needed to come up with a plan. I saw Todoroki slide across the ropes, using his ice to help him get across easier, and decided to do something similar.

"Looks like Todoroki is still skating by easily!" Present Mic pointed out.

It didn't take too long for me to get to the other side, along with some other students. I started running forward to try to stay ahead. Todoroki and Bakugo seemed to already be at the next obstacle, but it didn't take too long for me to catch up to them.

When I got to the next obstacle, Todoroki, and Bakugo were fighting for first place as they ran across the minefield. I ran forward, covering the mines around me in ice so they didn't blow up. I made sure that the ice wasn't too thick. So if anyone else stepped on it, it would most likely break under their feet.

"And now, the last obstacle. Everyone had better tread carefully. Your stepping onto a minefield!" Present Mic yelled. "If you look carefully, you can see where those little bombs are buried, so keep your eyes on the ground, folks. By the way, those land mines were designed for the games, so they might be loud and flashy, but they're not that powerful. Just enough to make you wet your pants!"

I passed a few people and made my way toward the front. But then I heard a large explosion go off behind me. I stopped moving and turned to see what it came from.

"What's with that huge explosion in the back? That was way more powerful than it should be!" Present Mic paused as Midoriya flew out of the smoke. "Incredible! What just happened? Whatever the case, class 1-A's Izuku Midoriya is in hot pursuit of first place!"

'How did he pull that off?' I questioned in shock. After I watched him fly a little way through the air, I shook my head and kept running forward. I couldn't get distracted, I needed to stay focused and not worried about how everyone else is doing.

Soon, I reached the end of the minefield and continued to skate forward. I wasn't too far behind the three in the lead and I didn't slow down even when I was almost back to the stadium. I knew there were a ton of other students not far behind me, so slowing down could cause me to come in a much lower place. But I was able to stay ahead and ended up finishing in fourth place.

"The first to make it back into the stadium is the first place winner! Izuku Midoriya!" Present Mic announced. The crowd's cheers filled my ears as I came to a stop in the stadium. "The contestants are pouring in one after the other! Let's hear some applause for all our competitors as we prepare the results."