Scene 5 - Meeting Primary Antagonist

EXT. ACORD OFFICE - DAY

Somewhere away from the city, a multi-story building stands tall.

INT. LAB HALLWAY - MORNING

DR. WARREN BRECKER, a tall, thin, dark-haired scientist in his late 30s, introverted and compassionate to SUPERS, nervously paces the hallway before Ember comes.

Dr. Brecker looks to RECEPTIONIST.

DR. BRECKER

'I hope she agrees to join our program. I could help her get rid of her troubling powers.'

RECEPTIONIST ignores him. Dr. Brecker rolls his eyes, sighing.

The door BUZZES. Ember and some RECRUITERS are let in along with Daniel. Daniel nods to Warren and walks off.

THE BUILDING DOOR OPENS.

Ember admires the building.

DR. BRECKER walks up to Ember and shakes her hand vigorously.

DR. BRECKER

'It's so good to finally meet you. I'm Dr. Brecker-- (beat) I created this organization.'

EMBER

'So I've been told, what exactly do you do here?'

DR. BRECKER

'Let's go to my office and we can discuss that in-depth.'

Ember and Dr. Brecker walk to the elevator and go to an empty office.

I/E. RESEARCH OFFICE - EVENING

Ember and Dr. Brecker sit down to talk of the organization. Dr. Brecker clasps his hands together.

DR. BRECKER

'At this facility, we help people like you. People who want to be cured of their powers. Those who can't control their powers and want to get rid of them.'

Ember CRACKS her knuckles and leans her head to the left

EMBER

'And what makes you think I want my powers gone?'

Dr. Brecker stands up and walks around the table.

DR. BRECKER

'Well, according to my recruiter, he found you surrounded by the destruction of your flames, scared and confused. Our technology and tests can help you, and I personally want to help you.'

EMBER

(intrigued)

'Well, I wouldn't say surrounded by destruction! But, What kind of tests are you talking about?'

Dr. Brecker Beams.

DR. BRECKER

'Most of our tests involve scanning your system and gathering information to discover the most ethical way to extract your powers.'

The phone RINGS and Dr. Brecker answers it annoyedly.

Ember peers outside the building window and watches two nurses drag a powered person back inside. The powered person yelling and fighting against them.

DR. BRECKER (O.S. annoyingly)

'Uh-huh, you know what Creed, I'm going to have to call you back okay?'

Dr. Brecker puts the phone back, looks back at Ember and gestures his hands.

DR. BRECKER

'Would you like to tour the building? I could tell you more about this organization.'

EMBER

(Hesitantly)

'Fine.'

Dr. Brecker and Ember walk in the hallway.

INT. HAllWAY - EVENING

DR. BRECKER

'I don't usually talk about this but, I started this program after my daughter and wife died a few years back.'

EMBER

'w-What happened to them?'

DR. BRECKER

'Well...'