Scene 25 - Party

THE NEXT DAY

INT. CAFETERIA - SUNSET/NIGHT

Ember walks into the loud room filled with people alongside Hannah. They are handed drinks and Hannah chugs hers. Alice and Kira sit at a table by themselves; Alice is staring at everyone with a frown and Kira is scribbling on a piece of paper. Everyone is greeting them with big smiles, nods, and impressed looks. Hannah is pulling her through the crowd of people by the arm.

Ember

(awkwardly smiling)

Why is everyone saying hi to us?

Hannah

Not us. You. They're impressed, they respect you, DUH. What you did with your powers... helloooo?! It was incredible.

Ember

(in disbelief)

I almost burned the entire building down. Doesn't seem incredible to me.

Hannah

Yeah, that may have been a possibility... but did you see your flames? They were crazy! No one actually thought you could ever master your powers like that, except for me of course, but even then, it was crazy.

Ember

(shocked but happy)

Oh...

Hannah

By the way, you're going to dance. I don't care what you say.

Hannah suddenly grabs Ember by the arm and pulls her to the dance floor where she begins dancing. Hannah is now grabbing Ember's hands and tries throwing her arms up and down to get her to dance. Ember gives in and lets herself dance to music. The crowd on the dance floor cheers and jumps to the beat.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. CAFETERIA TABLES - NIGHT

The twins are bickering about the final decorations on the tables even though the party already started.

BLISS

(yelling)

NO! That looks horrible over there!

We have to start all over!

ALEXANDER MILLER

(with a huge smile)

Hey Blithe, you having fun?

BLITHE

(clearly annoyed)

Oh, hello, I'm having an awful time actually. I would be having a marvelous time if my vacuous sister wasn't so idiotic.

BLISS

Shut up! You're just mad my idea actually looks better than yours.

Bliss looks at Alexander for backup

Alexander avoids eye contact with Bliss and focuses only on Blithe.

ALEXANDER

How 'bout you stop working for a little bit and come dance with me. You should be allowed to have a good time too.

Blithe stares at Bliss.

BLITHE

(sarcastic)

You know what? I will. Have fun, sis.

Blithe and Alexander go to the dance floor, leaving Bliss at an empty table. Bliss looks at the two leave sadly. Hannah, too many drinks later, stumbles to Bliss's table with Ember's help.

HANNAH

(laughing)

Hey Bliss, hope we aren't a burden, we're just gonna sit here a while.

BLISS

Go for it, the table is all yours... Where'd you guys get the booze?

EMBER

(embarrassed but smiling)

I think Camdyn gave it to her.

HANNAH

(abruptly)

WRONG! He spiked the punch and told no one. I may have noticed and not cared, but still.

EMBER

Well, I hope he didn't. The kids have been drinking it.

Bliss, Ember, and Hannah watch the dancefloor and laugh insanely at the awkward pairs dancing.

Alice and Kira dance clumsily with each other laughing.

A loud rhythmic indie/pop song blasts in the room.

EMBER

Oh my God, I love this song! Who knew we had such a good DJ at the campsite? I could dance all night with you guys.

HANNAH

Actually, I think I'm going to use the restroom. Don't have too much fun without me though! Woohoo! Love you guys!

Ember and Bliss burst out laughing as they watch Hannah slowly walk out of the cafeteria on her way to the bathroom leaving a trail of liquor-smelling bubbles behind her.

Ember, barely able to due to how hard she is laughing, stands up.

EMBER

I should probably go to help her.

BLISS

Alright, I'm going to go interrupt my sister's and bestie's dancing. I've watched enough of their cringe-fest.

Bliss runs off to Blithe and Alexander, who are slow dancing to a pop song.

Right as Ember gets up and is at the entrance of the cafeteria following Hannah, Apollo holds Ember back.

APOLLO

Leaving already?

EMBER

(nervously)

Oh no...just got to go take care of Hannah... umm, probably food poisoning. I really should get going, she...

APOLLO

(grinning)

I think she'll be fine. I know Hannah... Well, I hope your night is going great.

EMBER

It is, actually. Surprisingly. Parties aren't really my thing, but everything about this one seems perfect.

APOLLO

Nothing better than having the time of your life with people who care about each other.

EMBER

(quietly)

I'm not too sure about them caring about me...

APOLLO

(looking at Ember, delighted)

I just wanted to say how proud I am of you... Not only did you prove yourself to me, but you proved yourself to your colleagues. They may seem like they don't care, but trust me... they do. They know your worth to us now...and you should too. If only you could see yourself how we see you. You'd be amazed.

Ember hugs Apollo, who is surprised by this because she is not affectionate at all.

APOLLO

Okay, go have fun now—looks like your friends are calling you.

Ember turns to look at her colleagues waving their hands for her to come to join them on the dancefloor.

EMBER

(grinning and says softly)

Thanks, Apollo.

Ember runs off to the dance floor where she once again lets herself be taken by the music. Kira grabs her arms and they spin in circles before Ember starts dancing with Camdyn. All is well, the music is loud and the people are dancing like there's no tomorrow. There's no better moment than this one right here.