44. "Rest well"

"Jungkook", Jin spoke first.

You forgot how to breathe.

The younger boy's eyes travelled to each of you, then to the table with the corpse, which was covered in white sheets that were stained with blood.

Why now?Why did he have to wake up now, of all times?

Jin held back a sigh and brushed the tear at the edge of his eye away. He then put up a wide smile to greet the youngest member back. You found it hard to follow Jin's lead, considering how shocked you were. But maybe it was the wisest to do so, considering that such a shock wouldn't be too good for Jungkook as soon as he had woken up.

Jin walked over to the boy and patted his head.
"Welcome back."

"How long have I been out for?", Jungkook asked and rubbed his eyes.
His voice was weak and cracked instantly.

"A bit over a year", Jin sadly replied.

Jungkook gulped, panic growing on his face.
"What?? What happened? Did we get Jimin-hyung back?"

Everyone's faces saddened.

"Where is Namjoon-hyung?", he then asked, seeing that he was the only one not in the room.

Everyone went silent. No one dared to tell the youngest what had happened to the leader and teacher he had respected so much. Yoongi cleared his throat, taking it upon himself to deliver the news.

"He's-"

"He's gone out for a bit", Jin interrupted Yoongi.
"I'm sure he'll be back soon."

You tried hiding that you had cried.

"Who is that?", Jungkook asked, pointing to the covered body.

"Enemy corpse", Jin lied.
"I'm doing an autopsy later. For research."

Jungkook nodded and fell back on the bed, weak and tired.

Jin signalled everyone to leave so that Jungkook could get some rest. You and Taehyung stayed for just a bit. You were the ones that were partially responsible for Jungkook's state, after all.

Taehyung softly caressed the younger boy's hair.
"I'm sorry", he smiled.
"It's my fault you lost 19 months of your life."

The boy's eyes widened.
"No! Don't blame yourself, hyung!"

His puppy eyes faced you.
"I did it for Jimin-hyung. I don't know how far you've gotten for the past year and half, but I know we will get him back!"

You pursed your lips and bent down to hug the boy who was like your little brother. It was remarkable how fixated he was on getting Jimin back. It was very well possible that it would be easier getting him on your side, especially for avenging Namjoon. But that wasn't the main issue now.

"You should rest", you told him silently.

"What?", Jungkook questioned, leaning closer.

"I said you should rest", you repeated in confusion.

"Oh okay. I can't really hear that well", Jungkook muttered.

You felt a clump in your throat as you faced Jin's saddened face. He told you to come closer so he could tell you without Junkook listening.
"His ears may still need time to adjust, but the explosion might have done some damage to his hearing."

Taehyung's face turned stone cold as he left the room.

He muttered a short "rest well" to Jungkook before going out. You knew that Taehyung felt guilty. But you also blamed yourself just as much for Jungkook's coma and loss of hearing.