Chapter 50- The Love of His Life

After three weeks...

XANDER'S POV

I really hate making big decisions. If you think about it, you'll just have to choose between two or more options.

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...

Sounds easy, right? But it was not just about choosing the best shirt color for the day...or what to watch between Marvel and DC movies. We encounter tons of these choices every day.

But what struck me a few weeks ago was not just a small dilemma. It was the hardest one that I have ever encountered in my life, and that was choosing between the life of my unborn daughter...

...and her mother, the woman who I was about to marry.

It's not about the nature of your final decision. There's no such thing as a right or wrong one. It can be right for you, if and only if...

...you are willing to make the effort to make it one.

You've been browsing Google for some inspiring quotes again. It's time to sleep, Man. Your eye bags—I mean, eye suitcases are scaring me.

That is the secret to move forward and keep your life going, the secret to not giving in with the thoughts of giving up, and the secret to defying the pits of depression, or worse, suicidal thoughts. God will not give us problems if there are no solutions to it. You don't have to kill yourself because you have already lost all your hope.

Emily once told me that. She always amused me whenever she transformed into her sexy psychologist persona, in which she really was...

It has been almost a month now, and I fucking miss her. I miss her so much it hurts, and I feel so fucking lost.

I wasn't totally sure about my final decision, but when it was based on your instinct and without the influence of others— the burden will slowly lift up, and everything starts to becomes easier.

It's true, really. Everything lightened up, most especially at that moment when I finally got to hold my daughter's tiny hands...

The sight of this little creature lying inside the incubator has been keeping me sane each day. My precious bit of a survivor weighed 1lb 4oz at twenty-two weeks and five days and is just the size of my palm. She definitely has defied the odds. I really felt so blessed that I was given this miracle baby, and I would do everything to take care of her, to be always involved in her treatment and to make it sure that she will grow up into a healthy young girl without any major health issues.

She looks like a red potato, so translucent I can see her organs through her skin. Her ears hadn't fully developed and neither had her lungs, and she also has a ventricular septal defect or what we call a hole in her heart, but I made it sure that she is under the care of experts in the country.

The medical staff whisked her away right after the emergency surgery and brought her to the NICU. They immediately intubated her and gave her doses of surfactant. I was so relieved when my colleagues reported that her condition was somehow stabilized after a few hours. They didn't waste any second and I couldn't be any more thankful.

Dr. Mills, a consultant neonatologist in a specialized hospital for newborns in Chicago told us that for the past two years, he has already treated a number of preemies born between 21 and 23 weeks and who were able to pull through with just a few health problems, so I put a brave and hopeful face despite the possibility of infection and her underdeveloped internal organs collapsing. Dr. Mills is pretty popular, and he is one of the doctors that I have been looking up to since I was in med school. He is one of, if not the best doctors for preemies that I know in the country, the reason why I didn't waste any time to transfer Alexa to a hospital in Chicago where he is working so she will totally be under his service.