Balthazar Burke

Balthazar Burke (OC): Sixth-year Slytherin and older brother to Lysandra Burke. He comes from a pureblood family that is part of the Sacred 28. Here, the Burkes run the largest private lending library in England. He could not care less about what House his younger sister goes into as long as she shows respectability and comes home and put on a good show when their parents hold her coming-out ball. His housemates bore him at least half the time that he usually carries at least a book everywhere, even to the Great Hall during meals. Does not usually have enough patience for the most complicated manoeuvres that the most cutthroat Slytherins can involve themselves in.

Balthazar is a variant of Belshazzar and is oneof the names traditionally assigned to one of the three Magi. Belshazzar is in itselffrom בֵּלְשַׁאצַּר (Belshatzzar),the Hebrew form of the Akkadian name Bel-sharra-usur meaning "Bel protect the king".

First Appearance: He is first seen gleefully sniping with his housemates in Chapter 47 ("The Violence Cycle") as he took pride of his sister. Also appears in Chapter 54 ("Returns to Hogwarts")

As of the Second Arc: He's aware of who the Heir of Slytherin is. Not that his behaviour changed much, as he wasn't one for intense and active politicking in the first place. In Chapter 66 ("Life on Mars") it is shown that he took the Advanced Defence II class, the same as the Prewett twins.