Oswin Orpington

Oswin Orpington (OC): Seventh-year Slytherin prefect, prefect partner to Emma Eccleston

Oswin Orpington (OC): Seventh-year Slytherin prefect, prefect partner to Emma Eccleston. There is an Orpington that was the Minister of Magic sometime in the 1800s (Evangeline Orpington). So, even if he wasn't from the Sacred 28, I consider his family to be rather well-established. His given name 'Oswin' came from Old English elements os "god" and wine "friend", so, god-friend (friend of god).

I take it to imply that he knows who's about to be a god (or the closest thing to it) and knows how to be friendly to them.

Oswin backs Emma up in 'The Wizarding Society for Better Governance' as her second-in-command. The group is usually known more by their colloquial nickname, 'The Policy Swots. This is a collection of witches and wizards who are already serious in preparing to climb the career ladder as bureaucrats and administrators of the Ministry of Magic even from the time they're in Hogwarts. As such, they prefer order and stability, and not at all sympathetic to anyone that creates chaos and disorder (like, say, a rising dark lord).

First Appearance: Meeting Tom in the Slytherin common room in Chapter 16 ("Mobilisations and Responses"). He is also present in Chapter 19 ("Countermoves") and Chapter 22 ("Councils in Times of War").

As of the First Arc: Emma and he has thrown their lot with Tom Riddleafter he exhibited unexpectedly moderate position and outlook about progress inthe wizarding world.

'-