Tom Marvolo Riddle

Tom Marvolo Riddle: Fifth-year Slytherin prefect, prefect partner to Jemima Avery

Tom Marvolo Riddle: Fifth-year Slytherin prefect, prefect partner to Jemima Avery. An orphan of unknown provenance, he entered Hogwarts as a muggleborn student on a hardship scholarship – within a year, his abilities had changed the scholarship he received to be one based on merit. More than one teacher had been concerned about his entrance into a House with strong pureblood leanings such as Slytherin, but he had surprisingly managed to impress the snakes. Whether it was due to his charisma, his keen intelligence or decisiveness no one knows (though many guessed it was some combination of all three). After all, as a muggleborn with no familiarity or preference to any Hogwarts houses, he couldn't have entered Slytherin in the first place if he was not ambitious.

The Professor of Transfigurations, Albus Dumbledore, has diplomatically described him as "immensely capable and with a great potential—of course, whether he would one day reach that potential or not still remains to be seen." Tom Riddle continued to be a high-achieving student who was as helpful as he was charming towards his peers and teachers. He took seven classes in fifth year, as opposed to the maximum of six, and all of them are advanced classes. As he entered his fifth year, he was surprisingly accorded prefect without his assignment being commented upon by any Slytherin members of the Board of Governors. When asked for his opinion about the muggleborn student, Dumbledore still did not retract his statement or change his mind.

At the beginning of fifth year, Tom began associating with the stellar transfer student Hermione Curie, to the surprise of many. When pointed out that it shouldn't be strange that two highly intelligent people found each other's company interesting, most could not deny that. Yet that feeling of oddity persists for many.

'-

Author's Note:

I'm writing this with an in-universe perspective, and the fact that Tom is the Heir of Slytherin isn't something that's known to the general public. What else do you consider a no-name orphan who came from a muggle orphanage other than a muggleborn?