Vespasian Starkey

Vespasian Starkey (OC): Ves Starkey is a fifth-year Slytherin and member of the Knights of Walpurgis

Vespasian Starkey (OC): Ves Starkey is a fifth-year Slytherin and member of the Knights of Walpurgis. He came from an old family that's not part of the Sacred 28. He shares classes A. Potions, ADADA and A. Astronomy with Tom Riddle. 

He is very good with potions as it was his family's specialty, other than the occasional astronomers—the only reason Tom is better than him at potions is because Tom actually studies. He can probably exceed Tom if he ever applied himself. Ves is the oldest grandchild of the Starkey family and heir. A curly-haired wizard with an easy grin, he can banter easily with his House members that he's considered 'a swell guy' and someone other people enjoy hanging out with. His first name 'Vespasian', came from the Roman cognomen derived from 'vesper', which meant 'west' or 'evening'.

His name is actually thematically in line with Hesper Starkey (canon character, the witch who found out about the effect of the phases of the moon on potions). Here, she is his grandmother and current matriarch of the Starkey clan. She didn't marry into the Starkey family, as it was hers in the first place.

Some Notes on Wizarding Culture: As for readers wondering how Hesper Starkey, a female, can keep and maintain the family name, I'll refer back to the fact I've raised before in Ch 16's end notes that we have clear evidence that the wizarding world is less sexist than the non-magical one. Also, Salic inheritance laws is developed in France in the latter middle ages, while I'm rooting the current magical society to be continuous from even before the arrival of William the Conqueror. The Custumal of Kent (that records events from pre-Norman invasion times) has examples of daughters inheriting and dividing the estate in the absence of male heirs. It must also be noted that a 'custumal' is a written record of customs, meaning that there was more flexibility back then than there would be with outright laws.

First Appearance: He first makes his grand appearance in Chapter 34 & 35 ("Histories Unexpected" and "Tea and Precocity") alongside Pendleton, though other characters mentioned him in passing and there may be glimpses of him earlier. He is also present at the Slytherin table for breakfast in Chapter 44 ("I Hate Mondays").

As of Mid-Second Arc: Unlike Pendleton who dislike unnecessary violence, he's 'meh' on it when it gets too repetitive to be boring, and 'well, why not?' when he's out of things to do and pretty bored.  Hermione's glimpses into his thought patterns and the crafty, casual-and-guiltless way he can easily inflict pain on his fellow House mates even back when he was younger made her suspect that he's just as much of a psychopath as Tom is.

'-