38

Dave

I watched Kim sleep as I held Kairi. I was so attached to her already, I didn't want to put her down.

The door of the hospital room opened and my brother appeared followed by Queen.

I held up my finger to my lips to let them know to be quiet.

"Wassup bro." I lowly spoke

"Not shit." He leaned down to look at the baby

"Awww. She's so cute." Queen cooed.

"Thanks." I smiled proudly

"So how was it?" My brother sat beside me.

"Bro." I sighed and shook my head. "I'm forever grateful for Kim." I smiled as I looked over at her. "She handled it well and did it without meds. Shit kinda had me feeling a type of way though. It hurt my heart to see her in pain like that and it was absolutely nothing I could do to take it away."

"Deep shit bro." My brother nodded. "You a whole dad out here now."

"And I want as many as she'll give me. This is really the best feeling in the world." I rubbed Kai's back

"Soft already." He laughed

"Shut up. I will still fuck you up. Don't try me bro. You'll understand after Queen have ya'll baby."

"What?" The both looked at me

"You heard what I said. We all know ya'll been fucking. It's obvious. That friend cover up ain't working."

"But we are friends!" Queen stressed

"Yea. Ok." I laughed.

The nurse came in to check Kim and it caused her to wake up. I can't wait until we're home and she can get the proper rest she needs.

Kim

"How long have you guys been here?" I woke up to Queen and Clarence sitting beside Dave.

"Not long. The baby is so cute." Queen smiled

"Thank you."

"Let me hold her before I go." Clarence looked at Dave.

Dave's peaceful face turned into a mug real quick. "Nah."

I smacked my lips. "Dave let him hold his niece. Stop being stingy."

He sat there for a moment. "Go wash your hands....twice." Dave looked at his brother.

"Yo. You bugging." Clarence laughed as he walked to the sink.

"I guess I'll go ahead and wash mine too." Queen followed

"I should've said no visitors." Dave mumbled as he kissed Kairi's head

"Stop it. You can't keep her all to yourself."

"Why not? He looked at me. "Daddy love his baby."

"You are too much."

Clarence walked over and Dave hesitantly gave him the baby. Dave made sure to watch his every move.

"She's so little. Like a doll." Clarence spoke

I laid back and closed my eyes. I was ready to get out of this hospital and be home.

"You hungry mamas?" Dave ran his hand down my face

I nodded. "What you getting me?"

"I'll get you whatever you want, just tell me."

Before I could respond, another nurse walked into the room.

"You tired of us yet?" She smiled as she walked over to me

I wanted to say hell yea! But I just responded with a faint smile.

"I'm actually here to discharge you. The doctor said you are good to go. I just have to ensure that your carseat is safe and you'll be out of here."

Dave nearly sprinted out of the room to go get the seat because he left it in the car. He returned minutes later and the nurse showed us how to properly secure Kairi in the seat.

Queen and Clarence left while we were in the process of packing up.

Once we were out of the room, the nurse cut the band off of Kai's leg and from our wrists. She wheeled me out while Dave held the carseat. He had the range waiting at the entrance. I climbed in the backseat so I could sit with Kai on the way home.

"Ya'll good?" Dave looked in the rearview before pulling off.

"Yes." I slightly laughed. "I'm just ready to be home."

"My moms at the crib. She wanted to be there so she could help out. Hope you don't mind."

I shook my head. "Nah. I think it's sweet of her to help out. I know she's just as excited as we are that she's here now." I glanced over at Kairi.

"I gotta run out real quick after I drop ya'll off. I'll be right back." Dave spoke

I could tell by his tone that is wasn't nothing too good.

"Be careful."

"Always baby." He smiled

He parked at the front of the house and his mom rushed out the door.

"Hey sweetie. You ok?" She carefully pulled me into a hug.

"Yes ma'am. I'm fine."

9:48 PM

I was laying on the couch with Kairi on my chest. I heard the front door open then close. I knew it had to be Dave. He's been gone since he dropped me off this morning.

I placed Kairi in the bassinet and walked towards the bathroom. I could tell by the shadows on the wall that he was taking his clothes off.

I leaned against the door frame and watched him. My eyes fell to his shoes and they had spots of blood on them.

"What did you do?"

"What?" He turned around

"What did you do? You've been gone all day and you come back with blood on your shoes." I pointed

"I had to handle some business."

"You had to go that route? Right now? You just got out of jail. Our daughter was just born and you go and do this."

"Had to send a message." He shrugged. "Yea I know the circumstances but Rocko is not about to punk me. He damn near killed my brother and you think I'ma let that shit slide?"

"It's just not a logical decision right now."

"Yea, well, it's already done now." He walked past me and up the stairs