47

3 days later

Kim

I placed my phone on the charger in my bedroom. It died before the flight back and I was just now getting to a plug. Kairi was playing with her toys in her room and Dave left as soon as we got back.

I unzipped my bag and began taking the clothes out. My phone came back on and the notifications were coming in back to back which is understandable since it was off for so long. I gathered the clothes and took them down the hall to the laundry room.

When I walked back into the room, my phone was still going off.

"Damn." I mumbled to myself.

Messages from Ari and Maci flooded my phone. Before I could look at them, Ari was calling.

I slid my finger across the screen and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Finally, what the hell have you been doing?" She sounded like her nose was stuffy

"What's wrong girl? You sick?" I laughed a little

"No." Her voiced cracked. "It's umm...Shea...sh-she...she umm."

"Shea what?" I sat on the edge of the bed.

"Sh-she got shot....and umm-"

"She what?!" I jumped up

"She's gone." She cried

"I gotta call you back." I quickly hung up and dialed Dave's number

I scrambled around the room to find something to put on. Dave's phone went to voicemail. And I nearly fell, tripping over my own feet.

"Whoa" Dave caught me. "Calm down mamas."

"Ari called me and she said-"

"I know baby." He nodded. "Whoever did this got my boy Dom too. They were leaving the mall together."

Tears fell from my eyes as I stood there in shock.

"I promise you, I'ma find who did this." He kissed my cheeks. "And when I do, they gon hate it. I promise baby." He hugged me. "I got my people on it. After this opening for Saché tonight, I'ma make sure it's handled."

"I forgot all about that." I sighed

"Yea. I gotta get that done. After the red carpet and opening statement, you can leave mamas."

I felt so lightheaded and nauseous. The tears kept falling. I can't believe this happened.

"What if that was me?" I looked up at Dave

"Don't talk like that." He shook his head

"I'm serious. That could've easily been me and you."

He opened his mouth to speak but his phone rung. He answered the call and left out the room. I walked across to Kairi's room and she was still playing. I stood in the doorway and watched her. I could tell she was getting sleepy and it is around her nap time.

"You sleepy baby." I picked her up. "Ready for your nap?" I ran through her curls.

I turned on some baby music and laid her in her crib. She usually falls asleep by herself and I'm so thankful for that.

"I'm going to pick up my suit. I'll be right back. I got security outside so you'll be good." Dave appeared at the door.

I nodded and walked into the bathroom. How the hell am I supposed to get ready for an event when I just lost someone I considered a close friend? I sat at my vanity and looked at myself. I couldn't do anything but cry.

~~~~

I sat in the back of the limo on our way to Saché. Nobody spoke. The silence in the car was so loud and feelings were heavy.

As we approached the building, there was hundreds of people outside waiting and a red carpet was roped off. The limo came to a stop and Dave's hand rubbed my thigh before he took a deep breath. The door opened and camera's began flashing. I got myself together and put on a smile before I got out of the limo. We allowed Ari, Maci and everyone else to walk in front of us. I stood beside Dave as he answered questioned that the reporters were asking. He's became a big name around here.

"I think I dropped my phone in the limo." I leaned close to Dave and whispered.

"I got you baby." He spoke.

"No. I got it. Finish your interview." I held my dress as I stepped away.

I opened the limo door and my phone was there on the floor. I had to get inside to get it and I should've had Dave come and get it because it had me out of breath.

"Aye!" I heard someone yell.

I looked around and someone in the crowd was yelling at Dave. Next thing I know, gunshots were ringing my ears. The altercation was happening so quickly I didn't realize that I had froze. Dave's body dropped to the ground and I moved as quick as I could to get to him. People were screaming and running everywhere but I got through the crowd to him.

"Baby?!" I panicked. "David!" I screamed but he wasn't responding to me.

Jay and Bully picked him up and carried him to an suv that was parked on the side of the building.

"Get her! And ya'll follow us!" Jay yelled to Ari before getting into the truck himself.