14. r a h m a - compassion

Remember guys... please comment and vote

She covered her eyes with her forearm as the beaming headlights came fast towards her. The car swerved merely a few inches away from her and stopped right in front of her, the driver side facing her.

Yes, come hit me. She removed her forearm and heaved a sigh of relief. So I can sue you and pay my college debt.

She squinted at the silhouette beyond the tinted window, getting her bag ready so she could hit the culprit. The window rolled down in slow motion and he smirked as she came face to face with him.

"Are you fricking serious?" She huffed. Her temper rising. "I could've died." She screeched like a banshee.

"I was aiming for it but didn't want to hurt my car and stain it with your cold blood."

She was going to smack him with her bag when she heard the low sound of a cry for help. It sounded familiar. She turned around and walked to the tree where the sound was coming from.

"Miss Noor, where are you going?"

"To jump off the cliff."

She heard the car door slam behind her as she followed the way to the wailing sound. She turned on the flashlight as she stepped closer to the tree. Looking around the tree, her heart dropped when she finally found the source of the cry.

"Awww, you poor baby." She bent down as the cat kept on making wailing sounds. "Oh my God," she gasped as she flashed the light on the cat. The poor thing was bleeding and limp. She tried to graze the head of it but the cat growled in fear.

"Miss Noor?" He was standing up close now, watching over her. "What are you doing? Don't touch it. It's a stray cat and bleeding. You can't touch it without gloves or some kind of protection."

"Well, I can't leave him here like this." Her own voice cracked as she stared at the helpless baby cat. "Some stupid idiot tortured him. Why are people so cruel? What did he even do to anyone?"

༄༄༄

Moments ago she was screeching at him and there she was now almost sobbing over the tiny cat. This woman cried at the drop of a hat. He watched her as she tried to comfort the cat and pet her, but the cat snarled back at her.

"Hey!" She cooed. "Little guy, I'm going to help you okay. Your leg is hurt and bleeding. I promise I won't hurt you."

His jaw dropped in surprise. The cat actually let her pet him as she murmured. What kind of sorcery is this? As she talked to the little cat, she wrapped him in the spare hijab she had like a newborn baby.

"What are you gonna do now?"

"I'm taking him to the Emergency at the Vet Hospital."

She lightly massaged the cat's forehead and the cat yawned in relief. He offered to drop her at the hospital and she didn't argue and God knows what came over him when he followed her into the emergency as he dropped her there.

"You should go home." She sighed as she watched the door of the room, the staff had taken the kitten in to. "I don't know how long it's going to be. It's already been an hour."

She paced around the hallway, mumbling. He watched her with interest. Her forehead creased in worry. The boots clicking against the hospital floor. Her hands intertwined as she prayed for the little animal.

This girl. He bit the inside of his lip. How did she survive with a heart like that? She was so fragile behind that funky facade she created. Why did his heart ache to protect her from this cut-throat world? To protect that light and kindness from dying. He shook his head. She was shivering and freezing, but she had no care for herself at that moment.