21. k h u d g a r z - selfish

The mahogany color of her hair sparkled in the rays of early noon's sun as it sprawled across the cushion. Sitting on the floor against the couch, her head was back on the orange cushion on the couch. Staring at the photo as she held up the phone. 

He looked young, nothing like the man he was now. Only the haunting darkness of his eyes familiar in the photo. Holding on to the soccer ball, wearing his team uniform, he was smirking. The young face bare of any facial hair. There was something light about him that didn't exist anymore. 

"Oh my god, you dumb asś." 

Her phone slipped from her hand and fell on her face right on her nose at the sudden shriek of her roommate. Ouch.  

"Oww, You bítch." She cussed as he rubbed her nose. Burning Sanaz with her angry stare. "Give me an Icepack."

"It's not even that serious." Sanaz rolled her eyes as she took out her sunglasses from her handbag. "And who's that?" Sanaz was looking at her phone which had fallen on the floor, screen up.

"No one." She snatched her phone from the floor.

"Is that your boyfriend?" Sanaz's mouth fell open in an O. 

"What?" She was just flabbergasted at Sanaz's one track mind. God forbid if she ever talked to a guy. Her roommates were planning her wedding the next moment.

"Boyfriend? Who? What's the tea?" Falak came out of her room as she rubbed her temple. Oh god, not her. She was worse of 'em all. She still hasn't heard the end of Falak teasing her with Khan since the Bonfire. Falak flopped on the loveseat across from her. She tilted her head in confusion as she stared at Falak. A scarf was tied around her forehead like a ring as she rubbed her temples under the scarf.

"What the heck happened to you?" She stared at the nest of her hair and smudged mascara.

"Frat Party. I saw blondie friend of yours there." 

By chance, she glanced at Sanaz and a dark look crossed her face as her jaw clenched, What the ...???  Sanaz shook her head and turned to her phone as she typed furiously. Has she been so involved in her own matters that she hasn't kept up with her roommates?

"Who you texting?" She sat up. Her nose still throbbing a little.

"Uh, what?" She looked up with widened eyes. "no one... you tell me where you been? We are in the same room and I have probably seen your ugly face twice in daylight and at night you sneak in just to sleep in your bed."

"I'm telling you she has a boyfriend," Falak added her useless two cents, confirming Sanaz's suspicious conspiracy theory. She rolled her eyes at her friends.

"Tell me who is it?" Sanaz pestered her as the door opened. Chalo jee. One more to pester her. Zarmina entered with a grocery bag. "I wanna know right now who this boyfriend?" Falak added in.

"What?" Zarmina put the bag aside and looked at them. "Who got a boyfriend? I wanna know too." Loosening her hijab, she sat next to her. Handing a ginger ale to Falak. "So who is it?"

"Rabail!" Both Sanaz and Falak blurted it out.

"What! NO!" She shouted over the two of her annoying housemates. "These two are just making shit up." She shook her head.

"And he looks young." It was as if her words were falling on deaf ears as Sanaz and Falak still continued with their words. "I'm surprised. Can't believe you're a cougar, Ruby, tsk tsk." Falak shook her head.