30. n i k a h - marriage

Even staring at the ring in that velvet box she waited for the other shoe to drop. For him to turn around and leave, but he stayed. He sat next to her as she opened the box, stared at the ring then stared back at him.

"Marry me, Rabail Noor."

He whispered, waking her from her doubts.

She put her forehead on her knees and cried. Silently crying. How could this man love her after all that he knew? Crying because how did God bless her with him as her life partner. A soft cry left her throat. This was the first time she had cried without pain. Crying because he was all she needed and here he was promising her to be there for life.

She raised her head. She was sure mascara was running down her cheeks along with the eyeliner. Zarmina was going to kill her for ruining the makeup. A soft cackle bubbled up in her throat. He was still staring at her as if she was the most beautiful ray of sun. Brightening his life, painting it with the colors he never knew of and now he couldn't live without.

She opened the palm of her hand, holding it out in front of him and nodded.

And the way his lips were graced with the smile, it took her breath away. It wasn't just his lips. It was his eyes too as if the setting sun was leaving behind all its light in his eyes. His eyes held the warmth of the sun for her.

He pulled out the ring from the box and his hands trembled he slipped it on her dainty finger. His own eyes brimming with quiet tears as he wiped the tears from her cheeks.

"Thank you."

His voice barely reaching her.

She stared at her finger and then the setting sun as it took the last of its rays with itself. Taking the tainted past of Rabail with itself. Taking the benaam Rabail with itself and leaving behind Rabail who had everything that she earned for herself. Taking away the Rabail who was shackled with the bloodlines, leaving behind a woman whose relationships were curated with love whether it was with her friends or more like sisters, with a man who loved her beyond words and sanity, and with herself who was ready to take a step towards healing.

"How did you know my ring size?"

"Remember when the coffee was spilled on your hand," She laughed as he reminded her of the day when Aloe Vera joke was born and she could never hear the end of it. "You left behind your rings and bangles. I still have them."

"Ayi Ayi, you obsessed with me. Keeping the souvenirs." She teased him.

"Oh really?" He held out his hand for her as he stood up. She put her left hand in his hand and the ring sparkled in the dim light, making her smile. "Was it me sniffing that jacket and still haven't returned it?" He raised his eyebrows.

The back of her neck and her ears turned hot, making her blush.

"We DO NOT talk about that." She pulled her hand and crossed it across her chest, trying not to blush. And then they heard the commotion behind them.

"THANK GOD! they are done. Ruined my damn dress in the sand." That was definitely Falak as they watch the silhouttes shuffling around in sand. "Did you get that?"

"Hell mother fu- uhmm hell yeah."

Zach?

"Did you get it on video?"

Rayyan?

"Hell yeah. All sappy and shit. I'm cringing at how corny they are?"

Really Zach? Her jaw dropped.

"Send that to us!" Sanaz and Zarmina? "Please."

"What? NO!" Zach seemed to take something away from them.