42. w a l i d - father

"Ayla killed him!"

He stared at the mirror. The horror and fear playing in his own eyes. What if he touched Ayla? What he went beyond that?

The glass canister of soap fell from his hand and shattered in the sink. No. He shoved his hands in his hair.

"Asfi?"

There was a light knock on the bathroom door. She must have heard the clatter of the broken canister.

"Rabi, I'm fine. Be there in a sec."

How he put those words in a sentence, he didn't know. But the inside of him was like a tornado. Everything within him swirling and entangling.

He splashed cold water on his face, washing the dried blood from his lip. Gosh, it was bruised and cut. Rabail was going to freak out.

He opened the door and there she was sitting against the bedpost in his shirt and her ice cream pajama pants. Hair tied in a big mass of black and the huge glasses set on the bridge of her nose as she typed away on her phone.

"I thought you fell asleep in the bath-" She shrieked as she looked up and then walked to him. "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR LIP?" She held his face gently her hands and examined it. "Asfi?"

"Ahh, nothing." He placed his arms on her shoulders and sat her down on the edge of the bed. "Little bit altercation with Kabir. It's all fine now."

"No, you sit here."

She pushed him down to sit and went to get some ointment for him from Ayla. He shook his head and fell back on the bed, staring at the glitter specks on the ceiling. Thinking about Ayla took him back to the cemetery. What happened? Why did she kill him? He deserved to die and that to the most brutal way, but why were Ayla's hands stained with his blood. His little sister couldn't retaliate again her brothers even in joke and here she was with a murder on her hand.

"Asfi, sit up. You're not a baby." He didn't even realize when he closed his eyes and when she was back.

"Just do whatever you have to. I'm fine here."

"Some times you act like you're three years old not thirty-something."

"What do you mean thirty-something. I'm exactly thirty years and eleven months old. Don't make me sound like I'm some mammoth." He blinked open his eyes and furrowed his eyebrows at her.

"Awww... did I hit a wrong nerve." Tucking her legs under her, she sat next to him. "And if you were a mammoth, Mr. Khan, you would've been extinct by now." She cleaned the cut with antiseptic wipes and then gently put the ointment on it. "You've already put a ring on me, now you can safely stop coloring your grey hair."

"I can still impress three more, can't I, Mrs. Khan?" He held in his laughter as her nose turned red aling with her ears.

"Well, of course, you can, but you're gonna have to be alive for that don't you?" She scrunched her nose and then pressed his bruised jaw harder as she put the ointment and he flinched.

"Ow, I was just kidding. You're one violent woman." He rubbed his jaw. "You alone is equal to 400 let alone 4." He pulled her hand and she fell on him. Her body splayed across his torso. "I'm so in love with you, Mrs. Khan that it's hard for to me imagine anymore what my world was like before you came into it. I don't think I can even think about what it'd be like without you in it."

"And I hold so much love for you that often I don't think my own heart can encompass all of it." She put her head against his chest, listening to the rhythm of his heart that held her world. He wounded his arm around her waist and they lay there in each other's ardor and love.