37. z a k h m - trauma

Remember to vote and comment

She turned the door knob. The house was bathed in the darkness of late night. She could hear something the kitchen. She crossed the hallway bare feet, coming to halt at the end of it.

He was leaning against the kitchen counter with a glass of water. His body was leaning forward. His shoulder sagged. There were take out boxes stacked in the trash bin.

Something was wrong. He hadn't even cooked, it seemed like in days, and he loved cooking. It was his get away. His happy place. But he seemed have not even touched the pans and pots. Something really devastating was hidden in his past. Something grave.

"Asfandyar," She called him out as she dropped her bag in the hallway.

His head shot up in the dim light of kitchen. The sky thundering outside and so was the storm in his dark eyes.

"Rabi!" He whispered as if trying to be sure that she was really standing in front of him and he wasn't hallucinating.

She walked towards him, almost skipping and just ran in to his arms as he wounded them tightly around her. Holding her against him so closely that even air couldn't swing between them. His heart pounding in his chest as she put her head against it.

"You are here."

His voice was rather filled with shocking awe. As if he wasn't expecting her to be here after how he had reacted for the past week.

"I'm home, Asfi."

The moment he had said come home, she kissed Falak's cheek and stole her car, because Zach was yet to return her car, and drove back home in The thundering storm. Forgetting all about her fear of lightening and thunder.

He didn't say anything. Standing there quiet with her in his arms was all he needed. And the way he held her with so much strength yet his vulnerability laced in his action told her that he was thankful beyond words and beyond any emotions.

"I'm going to tell you everything." He mumbled against the side of her neck as he bend down and put his head on her shoulder. Letting his walls crumble, accepting his pain and exposing his weakness.

Her hands traced the pattern of his spine, moving under his shirt and tracing his scars. Touching the jagged warm skin with her cold fingers. They stood there. Taking the other one in. Realizing they were there. Together. 

The peace he was unable to find was right here in his home in the arms of his wife. Under her feathery touch as she caressed his scars and soothed him.

"No," She stepped back in his arms, making him look at her. She held his face in her hands, running her fingers across his jaw. "You don't have to tell me anything. I'm here. Take how ever long you want. The whole eternity. Just don't send me away from you."

"Never again," he swipped fingers under her eyes, wiping away the lone tears.

She missed him. There was this ache in her heart. Just boiling there and burning her. It was as if someone had removed that in a second the moment he wrapped her in the safety of his arms. How did he become his whole world in such a short time? That was a mystery to her. But it was scary that without him the colors of her life became gray and the flowers lost its scent. As if her world stood still in a shadow, covered in darkness when he was gone.

She hiccuped and tightened her arms around his waist. Afraid that he might leave her again. He removed her scarf, kissing her forehead. He handed her the glass of water he was holding earlier. She gulped down, soothing her parched throat.

"I was assaulted."

"Assaulted? Who? Are you okay? Did some hit you?" She stared at him from head to toe, making sure he was okay.