Chapter 15

Annabeth's POV
The cast list comes out next week and here I am just sitting on a bench in the park. Other people are probably working so hard right now and I'm in the park. But still I'm so excited, but also really nervous. Percy is obviously going to play Jack, but what if I'm not Katherine? Or worse... what if I am?

"Hey, Annie. What's up?" Percy asks coming to sit by me.

"Three things. One don't call me Annie. Two what are you doing in the park. Three worrying about the cast list today," I answer.

"Okay, Annie." He smirks and scowl, but don't have time to answer because he keeps telling. "First, I was just walking when I saw you and came to sit. Also, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here with my brothers. Their mom wouldn't take them so she had me do it." I pull down the sleeves of my shirt, remembering when she 'had' me take out my brothers.

"Huh." Percy doesn't seem to think that's the whole truth, but he goes with it. "Well, another thing. You're going to get Katherine! Trust me. Everyone else there sounded like a dying donkey compared to you."

"Thanks, but are you sure? I mean there were some pretty talented people there. The also seemed to have more experienced than me."

"It's your first musical. What did you expect? Also, did you know that you got callbacks and Drew didn't? She auditioned too, but you destroyed her. Why do you have a terrified look on your face?"

"This is bad! This is bad! No not bad! Awful! This is awful! This is awful! Kill me now!"

"Annabeth! What's wrong?" Percy try's to calm me down, but it's not working.

"Drew is going to kill me! Literally kill me!"

"Annabeth. Look at. Look at me." I'm still freaking out but Percy made me least hysterical. "It will be okay. Hear me? Me and a bunch of others, won't let her near you. Okay? Everything is going to be fine."

"Thanks," I respond. Then, I get a text from Helen.

Get the boys home now!

Hurry up!

"I've got to go. See you around," I tell Percy. "Bobby! Matthew! Where are they?"

"Who?"

"My brothers. I don't see them. Bobby! Matthew!" I'm starting to freak out. Helen is going to kill me.

"Calm down. We're right here," Bobby says coming out from behind a tree.

"Yeah, what's the rush? It's not like Mom's gonna be home yet," Matthew says coming from behind Bobby.

"She just texted! We have to get home now or she is going to kill me! Quick literally this time!" A look of horror crosses their face. They are the only ones who know what Helen does to me. Not even all of it, but they know enough to know it is time to go now.

"What do you mean this time?" Percy asks. Oh no. I forgot he was here.

"Who's this? Your boyfriend?" Bobby asks. Matthew ooohs from beside him.

"No. We're just friends. Come on let's go. And Percy... Umm... later?" Percy is about to respond when me and my brothers run off.

"Where were you?" Helen demands as I rush in.

"I took the boys to the park just like you asked," I answer.

"When did I do that?" Helen demands.

"Right when I got home, ma'am. You said that as soon as the boys get home from school to take them to the park for an hour."

"Really?" I nod. "Well, I have no memory of this, so you must be lying. And you know I have no tolerant for lying don't you, Annie?"

I nod. "Boys, go up stares," I mumble to them. They rush off.

"You know what comes next, don't you?" I nod again. "Good."

Helen picks up the wine glass on the table and walk over. She bangs it against my head and I feel the warm blood trickling down my face. The last thing I remember before passing out is the smell of alcohol from Helen's breath.

Percy's POV
On Monday at school Annabeth was wearing a big letterman's jacket that covered her arms completely. The jacket was huge on her. Like seriously huge. It looked like it was going to swallow her up.

I walked up to talk to her, but she didn't notice because her head was down. "Hey." Annabeth just covers her face more.

"Hey, Annabeth. What wrong?" I ask. She just looks the opposite direction.

"Did I do something wrong?" All I see is her shake her head before she walks away.

Huh. That was weird. I'll talk to her later.

But I don't. Annabeth is nowhere to be seen at lunch and she sat on the other end of the room from me in all of the classes we have together.

"Dude, what's up with Annabeth? She's ignoring us and she's wearing someone's letterman's jacket. No offense to her, but she not really the sporty type and they don't just give those away. Do you think she's got a boyfriend or something?" Leo asks after school when the whole group is hanging out. We texted Annabeth to ask her to join us, but she left all of us on read.

"No, she told us she didn't, and I believe her," Jason replied.

"But what if she got one over the weekend?" Frank says.

"Okay, well, did anyone see what school the jacket was from? Then we could see if it was plausible for her to start dating him," Piper suggests.

"Gateway High School," I answer, almost to quickly.

"Of course Percy would know what her jacket says. He's been staring at her all day," Leo says with a smirk. Everyone laughs except for me. I can feel the heat rise in my checks.

"Well, I'll see we're that is and we will find out if she does, in fact have a boyfriend," Piper states. I don't know why, but not knowing if Annabeth has a boyfriend or not is really getting me down.

Because you like her!

Oh, shut up brain!

You know I'm right.

A/N
Ooh! What happened to Annabeth? Who's jacket is she wearing? Does she have a boyfriend? All good questions. All thinks you won't know the answer to if you stop reading now. So don't.

Also, the cast list for Newsies will be posted next chapter.

Thank you for the reads! Y'all are all so kind!

Stay awesome! Love you!

Kate! 🥴🥴🥴