Chapter 28

Annabeth's POV

Percy didn't not like Luke. Not since I did.

I did feel bad that he wasn't happy about us being friends, but I really didn't understand it. I love him, not Luke.

I mean, I used to like, and I mean really like, Luke, but that was years ago.

I wish I could explain why I had never mentioned him. I wish I could explain why I hadn't talked to Luke for years.

But I couldn't.

I couldn't open up the possibility that what had happened in my dream would happen in real life.

I couldn't deal with Percy not loving me anymore.

I know I should tell him the truth. I couldn't tell him anything. He may stop loving me and a world where Percy Jackson doesn't love Annabeth Chase isn't a world I want to live in.

Also, more than anything, it felt awkward having Percy, or anyone, be jealous over me.

Percy was so fantastic, why did he think I'd leave him for Luke?

Yeah, sure Luke is kind and amazing, but he's my brother. Or, like my brother, that is.

Percy never seemed like the type to get jealous, but after we got home last night, he didn't say a word to me. Not until after dinner, right before bed.

He kissed me, just as lovingly as he always did. Then he whispered in my ear, "I love you." After he said that, he walked into his room without another word.

The way he said it wasn't forced, but it did sound different. It sounded more like when Ethan had told me that he was the only one that loved me. That he was the only person who could care.

It frightened me, to say the least. It still does.

But this morning, everything was different.

I woke up to Percy's kiss, and when he held my hand a brought my down for breakfast, he kissed me again.

He kissed me a lot.

Percy couldn't seem to get enough of me today, no matter where we were.

And it was a little much.

We hadn't even started school yet and I was already getting annoyed by it. I'm not sure Percy realized it until I wouldn't let him kiss me when we got out of the car.

He was confused and he puts his arms around me, but I pulled away. If I'm being completely honest, I was afraid he was going to make me kiss him. Percy's face held a pain expression.

I shook off that idea and brought him to the side to talk.

"Percy, what's up?" I asked.

"Nothing, why?"

"Nothing? Really? Then what's with all the kissing. Trust me, no one wants to see a couple making out by their locker, and I sure as hell don't want to be that couple. I don't think you really do, either. So, spill." I crossed my arms and tapped my foot impatiently.

"I don't know," he muttered, avoiding my gaze.

I sighed. "Percy, is this about Luke?"

He stayed silent, so I had my answer.

"Percy, he's not going to come between us," I say.

"How do you know that?" he asks, talking louder than before.

"He got a girlfriend!" I exclaim. "And I have you. In what universe would anyone let you go?"

Percy looked me in the eyes, his face blank, until he raped me in a hug. He didn't see me flinch at the sudden contact. "I love you so, so much, Annabeth. Don't be mad at me, please."

I don't know why, but I couldn't be mad at him. He was Percy and Percy Jackson was everything to me.

That didn't mean I wasn't still a little nervous that he could be like Ethan.

"Percy, of course I'm not mad at you," I say, reciprocating the hug. "Just, if you ever do get jealous again, just talk to me. I love you and nothing you say or feel can change that."

Percy smiles. "I think I can do that," he says then leans in for a kiss, but I lean back.

"You gotta stop doing that so much," I say. "It makes me uncomfortable for other to watch us kiss."

"Alright, but can I have just one more kiss?" he asks, holding up one finger and looking at me like he's a little kid. I roll my eyes and kiss him.

Percy pulls away after a few seconds, smiling wistfully. "How about two more?" I laugh, softly, and grab him by the shirt, pulling him into me.

The rest of the day was pretty great. I still don't think Percy likes Luke, but he's dealing with it better.

Luke didn't really seem to notice. He was just happy to be around me again. I was flappy around him, too.

"Hey, Annie," Luke said, walking up to me right after school ended. I was walking with Percy. Percy doesn't even acknowledge him.

"Thalia is visiting for our fifth anniversary next week," he says, excitedly. This Percy does acknowledge.

"Thalia? As in, Thalia Grace?" he asks. Luke nods a Percy's eyes widen. "You're the Luke she always talks about. No way." He stands there shocked, while Luke and I just stare at him, not understanding.

"Perce, you know Thalia?" I ask.

"She's my cousin. I told you a while back," Percy says.

"You did?" I ask.

"Yeah, you must have forgotten or something. I don't know, that's not the point," he says. Then his attention gets turned to Luke. "You dating my cousin? Dude, I thought you liked my girlfriend."

Luke, who's been standing there confused for some time now, stands there even more confused. "Wait, so Thalia's your cousin? And why do you think I like Annie? She my, like, sister." Percy was about to respond when my phone rung. I checked it.

My father. Oh, shit.

"Um, I've really got to take this. Please don't fight, okay? Great," I say. Neither got the chance to respond Becca has e I left to talk to my dad.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Annabeth. This is your father," he says, I don't say that I already knew that because I was already gonna be in some deep shit with him. "You have to come home this instant. You mother is worried sick."

"Step-mother," I check, on instinct.

"Don't y'all back to me, young lady," he snaps, and I shut up. "I'm leaving for work, so don't expect me home. I'll be gone for two months. Be good for your mother or, I swear to God, you will never leave that house again."

Then he hangs up with out so much as a good bye or asking where I was or if I was okay.

Father of the year.