Chapter 29

Percy's POV

Annabeth seemed upset as she talked on the phone. All Luke and I did was watch.

He seemed really concerned, that's how I felt. He just seemed like he wanted to one up me at everything. Like he wanted to be better for Annabeth.

Boy, did it piss me off.

Annabeth was still on the phone when I finally turned to him, but I notice he was already turned to me.

"If you break her heart, I swear, I will break every bone in your body," Luke says, gesturing to Annabeth.

"Are you serious? Me? If you hurt her or Thalia, you won't live to see tomorrow," I say, deciding that was my best move. But from the look on his face, it obviously wasn't.

"Why on earth would I hurt my family? You just met Annie, I've known her since I was a kid," he says. "You don't understand that. She my sister, and practically the only person I have." Luke looks away, frustrated, racking his hand through his hair. I was sort of shock and sort of confused.

Annabeth started coming over to us, and he finished the conversation blustery before she was in hearing distance.

"Just don't hurt her. She been through a lot," Luke says.

The moment Annabeth walks up to us, we shut up and plaster a smile on our faces. "Hey, guys," she says, frowning. "My dad called. I have to get home." I furrow my eyebrows, but she shakes her hand, as if to say don't bring it up.

"Alright, Annie," Luke says. He walks up to her and gives her a hug. Right before he let's go, I see he whisper something in her eyes. This ticks me off.

Annabeth blushes and nods. "Bye, Luke. I'll see you tomorrow."

Once he leaves, I just about get really angry, asking about Luke and her past, but she falls into my arms before I get the chance.

As she does, it all melts away. All my anger towards Luke. All my frustration about not knowing anything about her past. Any and all negative feeling at all. The just fly away, replaced by concern.

"Percy, he hates me," Annabeth says, sobbing into my chest. "My father can't even hold a conversation with me. He hates me." She sobs more and more.

I rap my arms around her. "It's going to be okay, Annabeth. I know it seems messed up, but he'll come around. No one could hate you. No one could hate you for long." I can since her smile, but she doesn't move, even if I did cheer her up.

After a few minutes more of hugging, she pulls away. "Can you just take me home?" Annabeth asks, softly.

"Of course," I say, my voice making hers. We walk silently to the car and I drive silently, too. It wasn't awkward, like it had been most days. It was comfortable. And I loved driving with her.

I dropped her off, giving her a quick peek on the lips. We say our goodbye and I drove away.

My mind fills with questions and concerns.

What was Luke talking about? What had happened to Annabeth that was so bad?

But mostly and most concerning of them all was, why hadn't she told me?

A/N
Yeah, yeah. I know. This is the shortest chapter you've ever read. I have reason for it though!

I wanted y'all to hear Luke and and Percy's conversation, but this next needs to be Annabeth.

Always, two parts I one day? Yay!

Love y'all, bye!
-Kate