Chapter 26

Percy's POV

Annabeth's has been acting weird since she had that nightmare and she seems to be having a lot of them. I haven't been sleeping myself, either because I want to be there for Annabeth if she wakes up. Needless to say, we are both exhausted.

That's definitely the reason I haven't been studying for midterms. Not that I hate studying because I'm tired. I actually love studying.

Yeah, even I don't believe that.

I hate tests.

I always fail and then I get in trouble for not trying. What kind of bullshit is that? You hire shitty teachers, who can't teach students that aren't 100% perfect, and then blame the student? Fuck that.

That is a complication of Annabeth's rant from when Mrs. Dodd's gave her a B and some bits from my mind.

"Hey, Annabeth," I say, as we start walking toward the school's entrance. My arm is wrapped around her shoulder and she's leaning on my chest. "How are you today?"

"I'm doing okay, why do you ask?"

"Well, I didn't hear you say anything about a nightmare and I was wondering if you stopped having them," I say. She smiles, weakly at me, but before she answers me, Piper and Hazel pop up next to us.

"Hey, guys," Piper says. "What are you talking about?" She wiggles her eyebrows, suggestively.

"Nothing much," Annabeth says, shrugging. Piper sighed, dramatically, like us doing something is the most important thing in the world.

"So, Percy," Hazel says, turning the attention to me, "I heard there's a new guy trying out for the swim team."

"Yeah, someone named Luke," I say, and Annabeth tensed. I looked at her, but her gaze was locked on the doors.

"You think he'll be any good?" Piper asks.

"I hope so, we need it," I say.

"I bet he'll be awful," Annabeth says. "I doubt he'll even be able to finish. In fact, you shouldn't even give him a tryout. He'll just fail."

I look at her confused and concerned, Piper and Hazel do, too. "Annabeth is something wrong-" but Piper doesn't even get to finish.

"Everything fine," she says, harshly, then she walks away from us and into the school.

Piper and Hazel join me looking around, trying to figure out what in the world just happened.

For the rest of the day, Annabeth avoids us all, but she stays for the tryout. She needs a ride, but it doesn't seem like that's why. Her gaze has been all over since she walked into the pool area.

"Annabeth, are you alright?" I ask, grabbing hers. She stops looking around for a second.

"Percy, I'm fine," she says. "I'd tell you if I wasn't." And the she was over to the bleachers.

For the first time, I don't believe her.

I don't believe she okay or that she would tell me.

But I don't have time to ponder on it because the new guy comes over to me.

Luke has blond hair and a scar on his face. He looks stronger than some of the other kids on the team, but not a steroid type of muscle.

"Uh, I was told you were the captain and to come talk to you," he says. "I'm Luke. Luke Castellan."

"Next to mean you, Luke," I say, shaking his hand. "I'm Percy Jackson."

For the first time since I met her, Annabeth was wrong.

Luke was the fastest swim I'd met in awhile and I finally had some hope for this team.

He was nice, too. And funny. He seemed like he would be a great person for, not just the swim team, but the school. And maybe even my friends.

"Hey, Percy. Is it time to go?" Annabeth asks, coming down the bleachers.

"Uh, one second," I say. "We're already here, so why don't you meet Luke?"

She glances around, nervously, but does eventually nod. "Okay, sure."

I smile. "Great. Hey, Luke," I call, waving him over. "This is my girlfriend, Annabeth."

Luke smiles and says, "Annie? Is that really you?" She looks him in the eyes and smiles, nervously.

Nodding, she says, "Yeah. Hey, Luke. It's been awhile?" I stood there confused as Luke raps my girlfriend into a hug.

"I missed you so much, Annie," he says. When they pull apart, I notice tears running down Annabeth's cheeks and Luke has tears pricking at his eyes.

"Really?" she says, hopefully. "You really did?"

He chuckles. "So much. So much more than you ever could imagine." He tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. Ananbeth hugs him again and I decide this is my moment to step in.

"Um, hi. Is there something I'm missing?" I ask. "How do you guys know each other?"

Annabeth glances at Luke, her nerves coming back. "Um, we, uh, went to the same school, before I moved."

"Yeah, and she dated this asshole, Ethan," he says. "Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you are finally done with him," he says that directed at Annabeth, but then looks to me. "I swear, you would have hated this guy, Percy. He was the worst for her."

Annabeth and I share an awkward glance. "Yeah, uh, funny story," she says. "You just missed him at this school, too."

"And with Annabeth no less," I add.

He raises his eyebrows and nods. "Well, as long as he's gone. And away from Annie forever." I just notice his arms are around Annabeth when he squeezes her closer. I try not to become a jealous boyfriend right then and their, but let me tell you, it was hard than it looked.

"Um, Annabeth," I say, "we better get going." I motion to the exit. She nods, but looks at Luke.

"Bye, Luke," she says. "I've really, really missed you."

That was one really too many.

"Let's go, Percy," Annabeth says, leaving Luke and grabbing my hand. She waved one final time to Luke, and he says goodbye.

"Was he any good?" she asks, referring to the smiling.

"Yeah, I guess." I shrug, stiffly. "I don't know if he'll make it, though. That's really up to Coach."

My voice must have come off as cold because Annabeth nods, but doesn't say anything. I automatically feel bad, but I don't say anything.  Annabeth looks out the window and I force on the road.

No music was playing. No one was talking.

Nothing was happening.