Chapter 34

Leo's POV

I got the call that Annabeth was gone and I wasn't sure what to do.

We weren't the best of friends. I didn't know her well.

But in even such a short time, I cared about her like I cared about any of my friends.

I didn't realize at the time, but Annabeth, and all the girls, they were like sisters to me.

When I got to school, I had saw everyone around me torn to pieces. I guess they felt the same. Annabeth was like family.

Apparently, news of Annabeth disappearance had spread like wild fire.

Drew saw this as her opportunity to get back to the top. "Hey, Jason, is it true that Percy caught you and Annabeth together and they broke up?" she asks.

"Oh, I thought her father sent her away because she had a drug problem," a boy, Jake, says. "That's what I heard, I mean."

"Oh, I heard she was using Percy for popularity and when he found out, they fought and both got arrested," another kid comments. Other kids start calling out their own versions of the truth, while Drew stands in the middle of it, with crossed arms and a smirk on her face.

"Shut up!" Hazel yells, tears on her face. Everyone looks at her, shock written throughout all of their faces. This was the first time I had heard her raise her voice.

"Idiots! All of you are idiots," she says, everyone was still staring at her. "Annabeth is the best person I have ever met. She is kind and loving and strong. Stronger than the rest of you. She would never do any of the horrible things you say. And I think you know it. You just want to feel good about yourself and the only way you can do that is hurting others. Shameful. That's what this is. That's what you all are. How could you?" By the time she finished, she was in tears. She ran off crying, then Frank ran after, not wanting her to be alone.

The whole school is silent. Until Drew speaks.

"She's so weak," she says. "Can't take a joke. Has to insult us. Do you seriously like her over me?"

Piper cries, and turns to walk out. Jason looks conflicted on whether or not he should follow them, before eventually following.

"Yeah, you're a bitch," a girl with caramel hair and almond eyes says. She's really pretty. "Annabeth was nice. Hazel is nice. Why would we believe a bully over them?"

Drew let's out a dry laugh. "And who do you think you are?"

"I'm Calypso. And I'm done with your bullying. And I'm done with being apart of school that worships you."

"Yeah, Drew," I say. "Fuck off." Calypso looks at me and we both smile.

"Fuck off," another kid shouts at her.

"Fuck off, Drew."

"No one likes you."

The whole school starts yelling at Drew, telling her to fuck off or some other variations of it.

I smirk as Drew runs off confused. Everyone cheers. Calypso makes her way over to me.

"Hey, Leo, right?"

"Yeah, and your Calypso?" I ask. She nods, smiling. "It was really cool what you did. Drew needed to be put in her place."

"I know, that's why I did it," she says.

"Okay, Sunshine, just take a comment," I say, chuckling a little.

"Don't call me that," Calypso snaps.

I smirk. "What, Sunshine?"

She glares at me, then rolls her eyes. "Whatever." She turns to walk away, but looks back at me one last time before she does. "I hope you find Annabeth. She was a good person." Calypso gives me a sad sort of smile, before walking off to class.

"She is so cool," I say to, well, no one, but myself. I watch her leave, before I'm such back into reality.

Calypso isn't important right now. Annabeth is who I need to focus on.

A day passes. No Annabeth. No Percy.

Until I get a call.

A wake up call, technically.

"Leo?" Percy says.

"What?" I say, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"Leo, it's Percy. I need your help," he says. "Luke knows where Annabeth is, but if we want to help her, we can't do it on our own."

"What?" I ask, stupidly.

Percy groans. "Just meet us at school, we saving Annabeth." Then he hangs up.

I scramble out of bed, knowing it's gonna take me a while to get to school and I don't want to everyone to wait. Especially not Annabeth.

I put on a pair of old work boots and change into cargo pants and the grease stained T-shirt I wore yesterday. The foster home I'm at does laundry on Wednesday's, so sometimes I have to repeat what I wear. I don't have a lot of clothes here.

I run out of the the house and towards the school. I always take the bus or ride with friends in the morning because it's not easy to run the whole way.

I'm about half way there when I crash into something. Or someone, more likely.

The girl from school yesterday.

Calypso.

"Watch it," she says, pushing me away. Once she sees who it is, she changes her tone. "Oh, you." Sort of.

"Yeah, me." She rolls her eyes.

"What are you doing?" she asks.

"I could ask you the same thing," I cross my arms.

"I asked you first." Calypso crosses her arms, as well.

"Ooh, feisty," I say, and she glares at me. "Fine, a friend knows where Annabeth is and we're going to help her."

She raises her eyebrows. "Just you and a couple of friends. Wow, I hope it's not to big a threat. You couldn't save a kitten in a tree." I sigh, annoyed.

""Then what do you want us to do?" I ask. "Leave Annabeth? Or maybe you want to come with us to show us how it's done," I suggest sarcastically.

Calypso does something between a smirk and a smile. "Maybe I will."

My eyes widen. "What?"

"You heard me. I'm coming with you," she says. "And we're taking my car. Let's go." Calypso swings keys that I just now notice around her fingers.

I gap at her as she turns to her car. Calypso turns her head for a second and says, "You coming? Because I'm not waiting."

I shake my head, shaking myself back to reality. "Your not coming."

"And why not?"

"Because this could be dangerous. I'm not letting you put your life on the line for someone you barely now. Besides, I'm not going to be some protector when you can't save yourself."

Calypso laughs. "You don't think I can protect myself, do you? My father had me in lessons to protect myself since before I could walk." She sort of glares, but it doesn't seem directed at me. "The question is, will I have to be your 'protector'?" I roll my eyes.

"I highly doubt you will be protecting me, but it doesn't seem like you'll be taking no for an answer. Let's get going," I say.