Chapter 33

Luke's POV

Kronos is such a piece of shit.

He always has been and he always will be.

And I would love to blame him. Trust me, there's nothing I want more.

But this was my fault.

This was all my fault.

When I was younger, I didn't have a family. My father left the moment my mother found out she was pregnant, and my mother, no matter how much I love her, was crazy. She went crazy being all alone, so they took me away and put her in an asylum.

She died a few years ago and I hadn't seen her since they took me.

I was in the system for a matter of weeks before I left. I was all alone, until Kronos found me. He promised me that if I came with him, I would have a family. I would never be alone again.

We became close, it was like we were like the same person. I was his right hand man.

Until I learn his true motives. He only wanted power. He was slow trying to take over the world, but he wasn't making it better like I thought. He was doing it for himself. By hurting others.

Of course, I tried to get out, but I was too far in.

After a year, I got out.

Or so I thought.

A year later, I was with my best friend, Thalia Grace, and Kronos found me. He told me to come back or he would hurt Thalia.

I thought it was an empty threat or that I could protect her, but when I didn't come back, he followed through. Just not in the way I thought.

Thalia got involved with them.

Eventually, I got her out, but that's a story for another time.

I thought we were finally done, but then Ethan came into the picture. Ethan was apart of the gang, even when I was. He had always hated me, probably because I was stronger or Kronos favored me.

I could only assume this was Kronos's idea of revenge. One thing for sure, I was not happy about this. Understandably so.

When Kronos was gone and Annabeth and I made up, I thought everything was finally done.

But it wasn't.

Now Annabeth was gone.

Now Annabeth was in Kronos's hands.

And it was all my fault.

But I wasn't going to let that happen.

I wasn't gonna let him win.

So I texted the only other person who loved Annabeth as much as I.

Percy Jackson.

I waited for Percy a block from school. I waited for 25 minutes before he finally arrived.

"What took you so long?" I ask, annoyed. Annabeth could be dying and he's just taking his sweet time.

"I got here 5 minutes before you wanted me to," he says. I roll my eyes, but don't comment. "Whatever, we need to save Annabeth. Where is she? Who has her? Did you do something?" Everything he says, he says more and more accusingly.

"I didn't hurt her. Kronos did," I say, Percy gives me a confused look and scrunches his nose up.

"Who the hell is Kronos?" he asks.

"He... well, he's sort of the leader of a gang Annabeth used to be involved in. He has a creep obsession with her. He's, like, in love with her," I explain.

Percy makes the angriest face I've ever seen. "So he kidnaps her? That's not love. That's super creepy," he says. "And disgusting."

"I agree," I mutter. "But that's besides that point. Annabeth's in real danger if she's with him. We need to help her."

"How do you know all this?" Percy asks, suspiciously.

"I- I was her friend when she was apart of this," I say, gaining back my confidence as I talk. If Percy found out that I was involved with Kronos, even though it was years ago, he would never trust me. He probably wouldn't help me get Annabeth back. And Annabeth is all that mattered.

"I've known her for years, or have you forgotten?" I say, in a snarky way. Percy looks like he's about to yell at me, but then takes a deep breath.

"Look, I don't like you," he says. "But if you can help me get Annabeth back, I'll deal with you."

I nod. "Agreed. Annabeth is the only thing that matters. We need to get her back safe. And we need to do it as soon as possible."

"Do you know where they are? Or have any sort of ideas?" Percy asks.

I nod. "If he hasn't changed much since I knew him,  I know exactly where he'll be. But we can't do this ourselves. I made a couple of calls, but only a few of my friends can get here. We'll need everyone we can get. You know anyone?"

Percy looks toward the sun, which was just starting to rise over the clouds. "I know a few. Let's see when they can get here. Then we can get to Annabeth. Then we can save her."