Chapter 31

Percy's POV

Getting the call that Annabeth was missing would rank as one of the worst moments in my life until I die.

I had just been on the couch, talking to my mom when my phone rang. It was the police. Apparently, Annabeth's brothers told them to call me because they knew I would want to know.

I drive down to the station to figure out what was going on and when I got there, the boys were all alone. Their dad wasn't there and their mom had ran away with Annabeth after hurting the boys.

They were so afraid. I don't think I ever seen that my fear, but I better my eye mirrored it when I heard Annabeth was gone.

One cop and I got into an argument about them finding Annabeth, and then later again because I wanted to take the boys to my house.

I finally won out because they had no parental figure. I honestly didn't think that it would work, but I was glad it did. They needed to be here, but they couldn't stay at that house.

My mother, being who she is, welcomed them with open arms. The went straight to bed, but I don't think they got much sleep.

I can't really blame them. I didn't either.

I had called Jason and told him. He promised he'd tell all of our friends. I asked him to make sure he told Luke.

I may not like him, but there was no denying he loved Annabeth and she him. I knew she would want him to know.

I couldn't get out of bed the next morning, neither could the twins. My mom didn't even try. She knew it would be unsuccessful and that it would just make everything worse.

I got a few calls from my friends, but no one really tried that hard to get in contact with me.

I couldn't do anything.

If Annabeth were here, she would drag my ass out of bed and to school. I love that about her. She doesn't put up with any of the stupid shit I do.

Bobby had a pretty big bruise over his eye and Matthew had a huge cut on his leg, but neither of them said anything about it. They missed Annabeth, obviously, but I think their mom as well.

I mean, she may have been the bitchiest person on the planet, but they didn't always know her like that. She was kind to them.

While, until she wasn't.

They were staying in Zoë's old room, the one Annabeth stayed in when she was here. They didn't have devices, but that didn't matter to them. They stayed in their room, silent, all day.

I went in to check on them once or twice and they were sitting on opposite ends of the beds. Matthew was crying heavily with a crumbled picture of their whole family in his hand, holding it like it was his lifeline. Bobby had a picture of Annabeth and the twins hugging at the beach that he held lightly in his hands, like if he ruined that picture he would never see Annabeth again. He was crying, but he frequently wiped his tears away, so they wouldn't come if his face and hurt the picture.

It was a miserable sight.

To be fair, I wasn't much better. I kept looking at my phone, thinking she was going to text me that this was all some elaborate prank or something. Maybe that she would text me and I will realize this was all just a dream. Another reason I kept looking at my phone was the picture of Annabeth and I on my lock screen.

My mom tried to help, but it was no use.

None of us ate. She brought us food, but no one touched it. Mom wanted us to watch a movie, too, but that was a no go. She tried to talk to the boys and I, but answering even seemed to difficult without Annabeth around.

Eventually it became too much and she left us to ourselves.

I felt bad for not doing anything to help or even acknowledging my gratitude for her, but I couldn't even lift my head.

Annabeth was my everything, no matter how lame that sounded. I loved her with my whole heart and I didn't want to spend a day without her. I had met her just months ago, but she had already made such an impact on me, I didn't even know who's I was without her.

But, this morning, the morning after, everything changed.

My fear turned into determination, my sadness turned to anger, and my love... well, it only grew stronger.

I woke up early, having fallen asleep earlier than I had in years. I hadn't dreamed.

I laid in bed for a awhile, but then I checked my phone to see if Annabeth was had messaged me. Spoiler alert, she hadn't.

It was about six and I left my apartment for some fresh air or something. I went outside and the sun hadn't even started to peak through the clouds, the forecast was clouding all day.

Even the sun didn't feel like shining without Annabeth.

I had on gray sweatpants and a white T-shirt, plus my black tennis shoes. It was what I was in when I woke up, minus the shoes. I put them on so I didn't get my feet all gross.

I walked for a little bit, but eventually lost motivation and sat on a park bench somewhere.

Sitting on the bench, I ran my finger through my hair and let out a breath. What would I do without her?

But what happened next told me I wouldn't have to know.

I got a text.

But not just any text. A text from Luke Castellan. The only guy I knew that might care about Annabeth as much as I do.

The text read:

This is Luke.

I know who has Annabeth

If you want to see her again met me a block from the school in 30 minutes.

Annabeth needs is both or something terrible could happen.