Chapter 39

Annabeth's POV

I stood in the black cell, the only light is from the buildings miles away, who's light are still glowing through my small bullet proof window.

I had to stand in my toes to look out onto the world. I couldn't see anything, even then, though. Very few ever passed the building and no one payed much attention to it.

I sit down, leaning against the wall and wonder if Percy will ever pass this building. What would he think? Would he feel like a weird connection to it or something? Maybe he'd be super interested in it. Wanting to go in and check it out.

Or maybe he'd feel nothing. He'd just pass on by it like it was just a run down factory. That's what I used to do. Why would he be any different? Why would anyone?

I was in the middle of throwing myself a little pity party when the human form of the devil walked in.

"What do you want?" I say, my voice sounding weak and exhausted. It sounded the way I felt.

"Aw, is that the way you want to talk to the man in charge?" he asks, walking closer to me. He kneeled down, so we were face to face. I turn my head away from him, but I didn't move. I couldn't.

"What do you want?"

"Fine, if you don't want to play." He got up and backed away. "I was just here to inform you that Dolos is coming tomorrow. After he does his work, your father can leave. And you can make a choice."

"My choice? You mean you'll let me go?" I say, finally having my interest piqued. "Then what was the point of keeping me captive? Or bringing in Dolos?"

"Ah, after tomorrow you might feel differently about your choice."

"I will never stay with you, no matter what mind tricks you make Dolos lay on me."

"What do you have to go back to?"

"I have friends. A family."

"Ah, but do you?"

"Of course."

"Going back to your friends who haven't come for you. This sounds like an excellent plan. And your mothers gone, so your stepmom, by the way. And your brothers? What you do for them? Besides, you'd father even abandon you."

"But you said-"

"I know what I said. And the fact that you believed your father was here just goes to show the amount of excuses you go to to defend him for it being there. You wanted you father to be good, so you make up a story in you mind, but the truth is, he doesn't care about you. No one does."

That guy me like a tun of bricks.

Daddy's not here?

Still, Kronos can't see his effect on my emotional state.

"You're wrong. And Percy-"

"Isn't here and he isn't coming. Let's face it, with you gone, Percy has is a lot easier."

A pause hangs over us.

"I will still never stay with you."

"So you'd rather go back to a world that doesn't want you?"

Silence.

That's what consumes this room. This warehouse.

Nothing but silence.

"Get some rest. We have a long day tomorrow. Besides, you've got some old friends who'll want to say hello. You'd be very surprised at the number of guys who came to see you. You're a very popular girl, here, Annabeth. Even your ex-boyfriend is coming to say hello. Ethan, wasn't it?"

I look him dead in the eyes, for the first time tonight meeting them. I try to speak, but I can't.

Ethan?

I just sort of sit there, my mouth opened, a little.

With a hint of amusement, Kronos says."With that reaction, I assume I'm correct." He comes closer. Far to close for comfort.

With his lips touching my cheek, he speaks, "I hope you're ready to say hello. Because he sure is."

Then he leaves.