$ T W E N T Y $

Best Friend
~
February 25th, 2019
Southampton, New York
Eighth Week Pregnant

Vera's P.O.V.

9:32 am.

I heard rapid knocking on my door and I groaned. I rolled onto my other side and glanced at the clock. It was still too early for this. I slept in an hour after I crashed into my bed last night. I was afraid of my thoughts and my upset stomach that's been troubling me ever since the day I found out.

"Who is it?" I shouted groggily.

The repetitive knocking continued and I muttered curses to myself. I wish it was one of those nights where you wake up a few hours before you're supposed to and fall right back asleep. I used to do that all the time when I was in school. I rolled out of bed and made my way to the bedroom door before snatching it open.

My cranky blue eyes met Xavier and I immediately calmed down. He seemed like he just saw a ghost. I opened the door more for him to enter my room. "Are you okay, Xavier? You look like you've just seen a ghost?"

"Your dad came up and started having a conversation with me and like the idiot I am, I stuttered. Gosh, your father is very intimidating." He rambled nervously.

I had a small smirk on my lips which eventually a small giggle slipped out. His eyes darted towards me and I pursed my lips to contain my laughter. "That's my father." I managed to say without laughing.

He groaned and placed his head in his palms. "This is serious. He must not like me." He muttered.

I shook my head and wrapped one arm around his shoulder. "If he didn't like you, he wouldn't even bat an eyelash your way. When he was on the call with my mother, I was surprised that he was there. He cares about you and that's why he's helping. Otherwise, you would've never met him." I assured him.

His hazel eyes met mine. "You sure?"

I nodded. "I know my father, dimwit." I teased him.

He chuckled. "Breakfast is in thirty, by the way." He informed me which had my eyeballs pop out from my sockets. I groaned as his laughter retreated from my room. Thirty minutes was not enough time for me to get ready. I began to scramble for items that I needed for my shower. Once I reached my bathroom, I felt my stomach turn upside down before I ran to the toilet and emptied my stomach.

I'm living the dream life.

~
February 25th, 2019
Southampton, New York
Bernacelli Residence

Xavier's P.O.V.

10:11 am.

I glanced nervously around the table. The table that held six to eight people was nicely organized with the plate and utensils in the right place. My eyes kept shooting around the room, waiting for Vera to arrive. My eyes landed on her empty seat that was beside me. It was reserved for Vera. I was seated at the very end of the table and across from me is where Vera's parents sat lovingly together. Anyone could tell that Mr. Bernacelli has a soft spot for his family since he was less uptight around his wife, but he and Vera barely talked as if they were nonexistent to each other. I wonder what had happened between them.

"Sorry that I'm late!" I heard Vera announce nervously as she arrived. I bit my lip and sat quietly.

"It's okay, my dear. Come join us." Her mother replies with a soft smile. Mrs. Bernacelli was the sweetest person I've known right next to Vera and Lilly. Observing the family, you could tell that Mrs. Bernacelli was the glue that held them together.