$ F O R T Y • T W O $

IMPORTANT A/N AT THE END!

Misfortunes
~
June 11th, 2019
Southampton, New York
Twenty-First Week Pregnant

Vera's P.O.V.

7:33 am.

       I shifted in my bed, groaning softly as I felt a wire tugging from my arm. My eyes peeled open, finding myself in my bedroom. I furrowed my eyebrows, learning I was in the gym from the last I could remember. I glanced about, noticing Leone was sitting at the edge of my bed, chatting with my mother with worrisome expressions.

My mother appeared as if she cried, concluding from her red swollen eyes. My father far off in the corner of my bedroom with his phone glued to his ear. He was mumbling incoherent words I couldn't manage to understand, but he seemed to be in distress. An unfamiliar man with a doctor's attire stepped in from my door, catching their attention.

"You're awake! Thank goodness." He says, sighing in relief. Everyone's attention shifted towards me as Leone jumped to my side. "Are you okay?" He asks with concern. My eyebrows connected, wincing at the extreme ache on the side of my head. "What happened?"

I bit my lip in discomfort as the doctor came around the other side of the bed, adjusting his stethoscope. "You fainted while you were in the gym." He responds. "You took in a large amount of stress."

"Thank God I found you right after you did," Leone added, brushing a strand of hair away from my eyes.

My eyebrows furrowed. "From what?" I demanded, turning my head to look at the doctor.

"You don't remember?" My mother asks with worrisome laced through her voice. I looked away, my eyebrows connecting once again. "Where's Xavier?" I changed the subject, noticing he wasn't present in the room.

"It's best we don't let her know right now. She has already taken a huge amount of stress that is dangerous for the baby." The doctor warned as he whispered into my mother's ears. With my sharp hearing, I heard what he said.

"Please," I mumbled, my eyes were wary. "Where is he?" I roared, getting agitated when no one replied. They jerked at my volume, but I didn't care.

My father mumbled inaudibly as he neared closer to the edge of my large bed.

"What?" I kept my voice raised. "Please, Vera, calm down." The doctor ordered. I attempted to follow, but my mind was rushing. I couldn't help but think of the worst possible situation.

My father stepped closer to the side of my bed, caressing my hair away from my eyes. "We called you back. When we did, we told you the verdict, but you didn't take it well."

I halted, staring into his blue eyes as I didn't know how to respond. His shaky hands pulled away. "I'm so sorry, angel." My mother whispered.

"His parents took him." My father's eyes appeared to be somber. My breath caught up in my lungs as I felt my heart drop to the pit of my stomach.

"That can't be." Was what I chanted; my eyes glazing over with tears.

Leone began to rub my shoulder supportively, but I pushed him off before yanking the blanket away from me.

"You're on bed rest for the rest of the day, Vera."

The doctor seemed to get more troubled with my actions, but he wasn't aware of what I was feeling. He wasn't aware of what just happened. I didn't care enough to tell him off. He was doing his job, but a part of me did want to.

"He can't go back! We need to get him back. We have to, dad." My voice crumbled more at every word. I couldn't help as I sobbed into Leone's embrace. His arms wrapped around my fragile body as it shook from my tears.