$ F O R T Y • E I G H T $

A/N: AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT WILL BE AT THE END OF THIS CHAPTER AND THE NEXT UPDATE!

PLEASE READ.

• • •

A Touch of Reality
~
August 28th, 2019
Manhattan, 2019
Thirty-fifth Week Pregnant

Vera's P.O.V.

8:02 pm.

       I threw the last throw pillow onto my king-sized bed in my fully furnished apartment. I embraced the sentiment of accomplishment as I was officially finished decorating my home. I glanced at the crib next to my bed, imagining my beautiful, healthy baby boy to be sleeping there within a month now.

I had to come up with names since I couldn't keep calling him 'he' anymore.

My baby boy will be due in a few weeks. I couldn't believe nine months have breezed by however it felt like it had taken forever. It appeared as if yesterday I found out I was pregnant.

I was grateful as I gazed in the mirror, observing the faded bruise that was left on my neck by Ezio's lips. Leone and I have barely seen each other for the past few weeks since his work began to consume his time. Though, when we did see each other, I would cover the hickey with concealer, hoping he wouldn't take a second glimpse.

My mind was constantly worrying if I should end our relationship one and for all. I couldn't bear the guilt consuming me as the thought of Leone wanders my mind.

Ezio was right. It was wrong, yet it felt so right.

I didn't want to admit it, but here I am two weeks later after the kiss, yearning for his lips again.

Even if I ended things with Leone, I shouldn't chase Ezio. The man gave me mixed signals for the past few months, and I don't want to be dealing with any more heartache.

I couldn't anymore. I learned the hard way.

I grunted as my back met the plush mattress of my mattress. It's been hell as the due date is reached closer. I manage to rest on my back, but not on my sides anymore. My body pillow provides me with the satisfaction of another. I preferred that body pillow than having an actual person lying next to me.

I heard a knock on my front door. I checked the time, expecting Leone today. My hickey was gone by now, but the tingling feelings that Ezio left was still evident.

Opening the door, my eyes met Leone. He gave a soft smile, making me feel regretful. He pecked my forehead as I let him in.

"Last time I was here, it was completely empty." He remarked. "I'm sorry I wasn't here to help you."

I shook my head, brushing it off. "Don't worry about it. Lilly helped me."

He didn't give an answer, instead, he sat in the living room, testing out my plush sofas.

I don't think neither of us enjoyed the silence that mingled in the air, but it was better than talking about something meaningless. It appeared as if he had something on his mind, but I didn't want to pry.

"I don't have anything to eat, so I'll have to order if you want anything." I broke the silence, realizing there was nothing for us to eat after I opened my refrigerator. "I could've brought take out." He added, turning his head back to look at me.