$ T W E N T Y • E I G H T $

Oh Baby, As The Terrors Goes. . .
~

       She overheard her cries. Her heart collapsed to the floor as she heard her shrieks down the hallway. She flung the pan onto the side of the stove before scrambling for her life towards her bellows. It felt as if her heart stopped hammering, her blood ceased to pump, her lungs giving up to operate. As she sprinted, her hands were trembling as sweat emerged on her temples.

"Mommy!" The gentle angelic pitch flowed into her ears. A sigh of relief left her lips before her body began to perform normally again. She stepped into her room as she saw that she was sobbing over her dolls; the male's head was detached from the body. Her cheeks were rosy-red as her eyes were marble-like as tears fell from them.

The mother bent down and cupped her dusky cheeks. "What's wrong, baby?" She kissed her forehead before wiping her cheeks. The daughter attempted to speak up, but her mother shushed her instantly as she noticed her daughter couldn't properly inhale. The mother rubbed her shoulder as she leaned to the side to open her bedside drawer. "It's okay. Mommy's got you." She whispered before her hand grasped onto the item she was rummaging for.

She adjusted the object in her grasp before holding it to her daughter's lips. The mother nodded as she pumped the inhaler. Her cries softened to sniffles in a matter of seconds. She brought her daughter into her embrace when she unclenched and clenched her hands towards her.

"Try to stay calm in these situations, okay?" The mother laces her fingers through her hair and planting a kiss on her forehead. "I know it's difficult, baby."

She sat down on the floor with my legs crossed before patting her thigh, offering her daughter to take a seat on her lap. When she obliged, she brushed a strand of hair away from her gorgeous appearance, so she could recognize her daughter's vibrant green eyes. "Why don't you tell me what happened," She proposed before her daughter nodded, her marble-like eyes meeting her blue ones.

She sniffled and was about to wipe her runny nose, but the mother interrupted by grabbing a tissue from the box nearby and wiped her nose for her. Her eyes took a glimpse of the detached male head doll.

"I-I was playing with my dolls. They were having a party, but the dad never came home." Her daughter began to explain, but her eyes began to fill with tears once again. Her mother shook her head as she rubbed her daughter's back.

Once she regained her breathing, she continued, "I lost him, but I found him under my bed like this. I was scared that something happened to him." Her eyes were set on the doll and the mother swallowed nervously.

"Is that why daddy isn't around, mommy?" She asked. The mother's breath got caught up in her throat when her daughter's eyes connected with her own. "W-what?" She stammered.

"You said that a daddy and mommy have to hug if they want to make a baby. Where is my daddy?" She urged once again.

"He's not here, baby." The mother managed to answer. She never thought about telling her daughter the truth. She figured that she wouldn't ask about him yet until another few years.

Her daughter's eyes filled with tears as her lips trembled. "I-I want him here, mommy. I want you to bring him here, p-please." She begged her mother, but she just watched as her daughter began to lose her control again.

"I-I can't." She faltered. Her daughter stood up aggressively and placed some distance between her mother and herself. "I want my daddy here! I want to meet my daddy!" Her daughter shrieked as she stomped her foot repeatedly.