$ F O R T Y • N I N E $

If It Was Meant To Be
~
August 28th, 2019
The Hamptons, New York
Thirty-Fifth Week Pregnant

Vera's P.O.V.

8:34 pm.

"Did my father call everyone?" I ask anxiously as my feet shook against the cars ground. Leone gave me a side glance, nodding. "Aleksander too?"

I couldn't remember the last time I saw Aleksander. We had grown apart ever since Xavier left. He became distant, but I wasn't sure how he was since we hadn't talked.

Leone furrowed his eyebrows. "You should give him a call to be sure."

I nodded, pulling out my phone to search for his contact.

My eyes stared at his number, a sudden foreign feeling wash over me as I thought to talk to him after all this time. Deciding to push my thoughts aside, I had to do this for Xavier.

Once I tapped on the call button, it rang once before going to voicemail. My eyebrows furrowed, disappointing as I wondered if Aleksander blocked me.

I would have called Evalena, but I doubt she was with his brother when her life was occupied by her own family. Feeling like I would regret this decision, I clicked on Ezio's number.

My nerves were a wreck as the ringing filled my ears. I bit my lip and tapped my foot as it felt like I was waiting for him to answer.

"Vera?" His voice seemed as if he was relieved to hear me.

I brushed a strand of hair behind my ear, composing myself. "Hey, can you get a hold of Aleksander? It's pretty urgent. I tried calling him, but he didn't pick up." I say, biting my nail anxiously.

"Yeah. He's right here." He says. "He said his phone died," Ezio explained.

"I know it's late, but can you guys come to my parents?" I asked. Ezio was about to say something, but I interrupted. "It's Xavier. He's there." I said immediately.

There was a moment of silence and I was starting to feel nervous about why they were. I heard shuffling on the other side. "Yeah. We're on our way." He says. "Aleksander, go grab your stuff!" He shouted. I assumed Aleksander rushed to get ready since Ezio had to raise his voice.

"Can we talk?" Ezio asked quietly. My heart pounded at his voice deepening. I pursed my lips. "I can't. I'm almost there."

He sighed. "See you soon, then," Ezio replied before cutting off the call. I locked my phone, leaning my head against the seat as I noticed we were arriving closer to the end of the Hamptons.

I thrummed my fingers against my thigh, impatient to see how Xavier was. I tried everything within me to stay calm. I had to, for my baby. I've come so far and I wasn't about to damage all for a moment of panic.

I felt Leone's hand clasp over mind supportively. I threw him a soft smile before it disappeared, shaking my leg again.

~
August 28th, 2019
Southampton, New York
Thirty-fifth Week Pregnant

Vera's P.O.V.

10:47 pm.

As soon as the car parked in front of my parent's mansion, I didn't wait for the driver to open my door. I grabbed my things, dashing to the front door. I burst in, heaving as I clutched my knees. I'm sure other pregnant women feel exhausted after running for ten seconds.