$ T W E N T Y • S I X $

The Newfound's
~
April 5th, 2019
Staten Island, New York
St. Peter's Private School

Xavier's P.O.V.

1:02 pm.

"My mom is going to be so pissed," Aleksander muttered. I raise my eyebrows before grabbing the paper from his hand that he was shamefully offering me. My eyes found seventy-one percent on the top of the test. I cringed internally, glancing at my test which was in my other hand.

Suddenly, my test was snatched out of my grasps. "What'd you get?" Aleksander asked before his eyes landed on my test. His mouth fell agape. "Ninety-seven percent?" He shouted incredulously. My cheeks blushed red before I snatched back my test when I noticed a few students around us were staring at me with widened eyes.

"Xavier? That high of a grade? How?" Some guy in my class, Tyrell was his name, I think.

Aleksander wrapped his arm around my shoulders, a habit he never stops doing, before saying proudly, "It's 'cause he has me, that's why." He smirks before I shove him playfully and chuckle.

Tyrell laughs. "Good job, man," Tyrell says as he offers his fist. I bump mine with him before turning my head towards Aleksander.

I give him his test back. "Do you want me to help you study or something?" I asked in a concerning tone. He softly shook his head. I raise my eyebrow at him as I crossed my arms.

He scoffs and turns it his desk right next to mine where his backpack sat.

"Okay, class! We will be starting unit seven on Monday. Don't forget about the project that's due on Monday as well! That's your final grade for this unit and a big part of your grade. Have a good day, guys. Class dismissed." My chemistry teacher announces before returning to sorting the messy stack of papers on his desk.

"Shit!" I heard Aleksander mutter underneath his breath. My eyebrows knit together as I sling my small backpack over my shoulder. "Are you okay?" I asked him.

He froze before softly nodding. I squint my eyes at him. He shakes his head as we both start to walk out of the classroom that was beginning to empty. "I forgot about the project." He whispered as we passed by the teacher who was waving us goodbye.

My eyes lit up as we exited the classroom. "Let me help you." I offered. He shook his head immediately. "No, I'm not taking advantage of you." I was about to say something before he interrupted again. "And besides, the project started a week before your first day." He added as he stopped by his locker in the crowded hallway. He punched in his combination before opening the locker door.

I roll my eyes as I lean up against the locker next to his. "How would you be taking advantage of me when I'm genuinely offering?" I ask as I cross my arms. "Plus, I love chemistry, so let me help, please." I persuade eagerly. Science was my favorite subject ever since I was a child. How the world worked had always fascinated me.

"Yeah, weirdo. I still don't know how someone can love science." He says disgracefully. I roll my eyes and smile. He grabs out the economic's textbook after placing his chemistry one away safely in his locker. He sighs. "I don't know anything about chemistry. I don't want to make a big fool out of myself if you tutor me or whatever." He mumbled shamefully.

I cock my head over. "You won't. You forgot how bad I am in history. Without you, I would be failing that class. Think of it as an eye for an eye." I explain. He purses his lip and nods after hesitating. "Thanks." He mumbles. I nod my head as I felt my smile reach my eyes.