Chapter 2

Blair paced her room in the manor, still in her gear from the night's patrol

Blair paced her room in the manor, still in her gear from the night's patrol. She had thrown her mask across the room when she had gotten in and it fell right next to a picture of her and Bruce when she was a kid. What was he thinking? Training the new kid to be a new Robin was the highest form of betrayal in her book, an insult to the work Dick had put in. An insult to her partnership with him.

A knock sounded at her door, jerking her out of her angry thoughts. Blair stopped her pacing, thinking of as many calming things as she could with no luck.

"If you're Bruce Wayne, go away!" She yelled instead, turning around to face her window overlooking the manor's courtyard. The door opened and she looked over her shoulder, seeing Alfred with a tray of sandwiches and tea.

"Oh. I'm sorry Alfred. If I had known—"

"It's quite alright Miss Blair." Alfred waved her off, setting the tray on her bedside table. "It's been quite a night hasn't it."

Blair moved to sit on her bed, letting out a large sigh. Alfred went to her closet, pulling out a large shirt for her to change into. The shirt was Dick's, but she had stolen it when she had gotten sick a year ago and never returned it. It was her favorite thing to wear when she was feeling down, Alfred knew this.

"Is he still down there with James Teague or whatever his name is?" Blair asked.

"Jason Todd, but yes." Alfred replied, shaking his head in slight amusement as he handed her the shirt, sitting down next to her. Blair groaned loudly, placing the shirt on her face and falling back in her bed.

"I don't get it. Am I not a good enough partner for him? Am I not enough to protect this city?" She asked, her voice cracking at the end. She had always done everything she could to protect the people of the city and to help Batman whenever she could. Just last week, they had stopped the Riddler from wreaking havoc on the police station. It was always the police station with him for some reason. Apparently some grudge he held.

"You know that's not the reason. He misses Master Dick." Alfred spoke softly, glancing over at the girl. He moved the shirt off her face, seeing tears fill her eyes.

"Well, I miss him too, but you don't see me trying to replace him."

"That's because you still speak to him everyday." At this, Blair sat up, wiping the tears from her eyes in shock.

"How did you—"

"Oh please. He wasn't going to leave you completely alone here." Blair looked down at her hands. Even if that was Dick's plan, she was still alone in Gotham. Donna had left years ago, Kate only came to visit every so often, and Hank and Dawn had moved to DC. She was completely and utterly alone.

"I can't do it, Alfred. I won't do it. There can't be a replacement for him." Blair said stubbornly. Alfred smiled softly at the chestnut haired girl, seeing the fiery stubbornness flash in her eyes. It reminded him of Bruce when he was younger.