26 : Younger

" The date was fantastic, Aaliyah." Shawn said while grabbing a water bottle from the fridge. I shift in my seat a bit. I had a crush on Shawn for such a long time. Ever since his younger sister, Aaliyah, invited me for a play date and I had seen him lounging in his room.

  The next 4 years were spent with me admiring him from afar, because I was too scared to tell a guy who was 6 years older than me that I had a crush on him.

  But it was heartbreaking when I found out that he went on a date with a girl named Lauren.

Flashback

" I'm going on a date with Lauren." I had heard him say to his friends. " I'm so excited." Shawn gushed. I was eavesdropping on Shawn and his friends while Aaliyah was fetching some snacks. I was standing in the hallway, extremely close to Shawn's room. " I just hope it goes well. " He said dreamily. The boys continued to tease him while you felt an unreasonable sadness in the pit of your stomach. As soon as I hear Aaliyah come upstairs, I nimbly ran back into her room, hiding my heartache for the rest of the day.

End of flashback

" We have so much in common Aaliyah. We both love Harry Potter, we both like the same type of music. I could go on and on." Shawn said while taking another sip from his water bottle. I swallow the lump  in my throat and fidget with my fingers.

Why was I getting so teary and uncomfortable, I ask myself. This wasn't like me. Anytime a guy I liked got a girlfriend, I got over him so quickly. But this was so much more different. Dating Shawn would be impossible. He's way older, mature and deserved someone better, I thought.

" You good, Y/N ? " Aaliyah asked while looking at me attentively. I nod  and flash her a fake smile. "Okay." She says hesitantly. 

Shawn barely ever talked to me. The last time he said anything to you was when he told you that you had forgotten something at their house. After that, he never said a word to you. Just occasional smiles and waves.

"I gotta go use the bathroom." I say, trying to stop tears from spilling out of your eyes. "Are you o-." Before Aaliyah could finish, I had rushed upstairs to her room. I close the door and lean against it, sliding down slowly and sitting on the floor, letting out choked out sobs. Why was I overreacting? Shawn, who barely talked to me, was probably going to get a girlfriend and I was crying about it. I was being so stupid. I silence my sobs as I hear heavy footsteps approach Aaliyah's room.

  I move away from the door and grab a few tissues from Aaliyah's desk and wipe my face. Just as I finished drying up my face, I turn around to see Shawn at the doorway.

My stomach drops to the floor as I look down at my feet. "Hey, Y/N. I heard crying... Is everything okay?" Shawn asks hesitantly while slowly making his way towards me. " Not to be rude or anything, but why are here?" I ask, biting the inside if my cheek to stop my tears. " I just thought you were crying, so I came up to see if you were okay. " Shawn says quietly.   "I'm okay. I wasn't crying." I say while tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. Shawn looked at me with concentration.

  " I know that you're lying." Shawn says walking even closer to me.  I feel every fibre in my body freeze. How?

" I know you like me. You're always staring at me. You blush around me. I know that you hold yourself back, though. Only because I'm older than you. I can tell, Y/N. I can just tell." Shawn says.

I gulp and sit down onto Aaliyah's soft bed and start to fiddle with my fingers. Shawn sits next to me." I know you like me. I don't wanna be mean or anything, but I dont feel the same. " Shawn said sympathetically. I let a tear slowly roll down my cheek.