Chapter. 24

The light rain hit a moving car window as we drove past New York silently enjoying each other presence. The thoughts were rushing through my mind making me feel dizzy, but I still manage not to show how uncomfortable I was.

When I today first step inside my apartment I didn't expect to find Maverick as she seems to ghost me for a past two days, but I can't I did it too... I ignored her like everyone else. I really didn't expect for her to say she was done running. I am not sure what does she mean by that... is it she's wanna start something more serious or she just wanna continue sleep with me, but without running away at the first scary thought.

It's overwhelming.

Maybe I'm overthinking again?

"Penny of your thoughts?" The maverick soft voice snapped me out of the deep thoughts.

I look up from the window to her side and forced myself to smile, but it doesn't seem to be working as her brows were brought together and I felt a car slowing down at the red light.

"What's wrong?"

"It's nothing," I gulped waving with hand in dismissal hoping she would let go of whether she has in mind and I could overthink in peace.

"Tell me," she insisted with her voice decreasing an octave making my throat tighten.

"It's really nothing, don't worry." I sighed brushing a hair strand from my face widening my forced smile.

I sighed in relief when she takes eyes to the road and for a rest of a ride we continued to drive in silence, but it wasn't like before, the calm, setting my whole body at ease. It was limb curling and squeezing my lungs making hard for me to breath and I hate it. I hate this fast mood swift between us.

My body felt relaxed when a fingers gaze through my hand softly sending a bolt of electricity. I look up and saw maverick intertwining our fingers, giving a light squeeze. A small smile tugged into my lips as the thought from before seems to sleep away, but not far away to set me at ease completely.

What if she realized that I'm just boring girl with no life whatsoever, just like he did and would go away? I can't take that pain anymore. Trusting her means I trust her with my heart and I let down my walls completely, I become the open book. That scares me. The one and only person through my life had this privilege and broke down in million pieces was Elliot and I hate myself from letting him do that.

It scares me to get this power to someone else again.

The car stopped making me look up at the nearest food shop and I didn't even felt when Maverick got out of the car and rushed to open doors for me. I raised one brow and watch her blush.

"Don't look at me like that, princess. I'm just doing my job. I'm still your bodyguard."

My heart swells at her smile, but I manage to muster my emotions from showing at my face and brushed my lips against her cheek near her ear before breathing out. "Thank you, babe."

I fastened my space with heart pounding against my chest from all emotions rushing through me. I still don't know where I stand with myself and seeing this, cute side of Maverick doesn't help me at all.

I wrapped the jacket around myself tighter as the chilly wind blew straight into my face. It was again a rainy day in New York, not that I don't like rain. I find it comforting, especially watching at the raindrops racing each other on the widows, the habit I picked as I was a young girl.

Walking into the shop I first called toward the vegetable section thinking I should do some salad for today. I know I can't cook most of the things, but I still can do simple things. Choosing from a variety of colorful vegetables I move along the section which was milk.