Chapter 34

Maverick's POV:

I stared at the intruder with questions swirling in my head. Who the hell was he and why did he look at Andrea like she was a prose possession of his? Maybe a friend? No, I don't think Andrea would have wide eyes, trembling hands and a face paler than snow whites.

But then it hit me. It's him. Elliot Mitchell. The guy who dared to date an innocent sixteen years old, play her and leave scars that are beyond repair. The amount of anger I felt from staring at him was skyrocketing.

To add salt to the wound, he dared to look smug. With brown hair slicked to the side, forming almost perfect wave, expensive Rolex shining under the light blue button sleeve what was tucked into khakis pants.

He fixed himself...

The disdain in my mouth was a bitter mess, but a twirl of guilt washed all over me. It's definitely not the proudest moment of me knowing Andrea. When we had biggest argument few weeks back, when I really thought I fucked up, I couldn't help myself and did a lot of digging about her past life.

That included finding a huge chunk of nasty information about the culprit behind the ruined date of ours.

He started working as a bodyguard being only nineteen. Out of high school, with a clustered mess that he called family. A father was an alcoholic and a mother was a drug-addicted who ran away as he was a baby. I'm not proud of searching up his name. Digging information from years ago took a lot of time. Right names were called, lots of favour yet to be granted.

Elliot may seem like a boy with a heavy past, but he's far away from being an innocent soul.

I'm not judging him because his family was poor and he didn't have the best care. Which could lead to many bad decisions later in life. I'm surprised he found someone like Andrea's father who took him in and gave job as his teenage daughter bodyguard.

However, I wasn't important here. Andrea's well-being was the Sole point of my interest, so I swallowed my pride, guilt and the urge to punch Elliot for the sake of the girl I love.

"Elliot,-" Andrea's voice wavered in a strangled pause.

Her green eyes were full of doubt, pain. She was lost. My heart clenched when a mix of emotions washed over me. Pain and worry. As if sensing my immobility, Andrea gripped my knee tighter, calming my beating heart. I have to admit, it did make my body drown in calming dizziness. Even with an ex standing in front of her, Andrea still managed to put me first and show comfort.

I smiled with encouragement when her eyes met mine. "—what are you doing... here? In Hampton's of all places?"

We waited patiently for Elliot's answer, but it took a while for him to even acknowledge words. He tilted his head towards me, brown eyes sparkling with danger and something unknown.

Crinkles deepened around his small, almond-shaped eyes, thin lips formed a cunning smile before he flashed a million-dollar smile. "Well, my business partner sent me here to convince her estranged daughter to step up as the rightful heir for the dying family business."

I wouldn't worry about his word if not the nauseating feeling in my guts that his word means to me more than Andrea. It all was confusing. How would he know me?

Not dismissing a fact that he can be a possessive ex-boyfriend who digs into Andrea's life ever after these years, but again, wouldn't that be a little too late? From what I know they dated a long, long time ago. So why would he be interested in her life?

But a small light in my head clicked and a loudly blaring siren went off. Estranged daughter. He can't mean me, can he? How— new business partner. My mother has been talking about the new investor who pushed a huge chunk of cash into the newest plan of my mother's shenanigans.  

My doubts were confirmed the second Elliot faked the apologetic smile to Andrea. "I'm sorry, Andrea, I would love to catch up with you, but I have orders to catch,—"

He looked at me, eyes scanning to the precise analysation. My breath hitched when he stuck his hand out.

"—Maverick Callahan," my name rolled effortlessly out of his dirty mouth. "Nice to finally meet you, your mother said so many nice things about you."

I ignored the intended jab that was hidden behind heavy layers of politeness. My eyes fell on his hand and it didn't take long for him to catch the innuendo that I'm not gonna be friendly with him.

"Although, I do have to admit you look quite different from what I imagine... and different than your mother, Mrs Callahan, had described. I'd say carelessly. Dating your employer's daughter?"

"Mave?"

I ignored Andreas confusion, clapping my mouth shut. Who the hell does he think he is? My legs buckled when I tried to stand up, but I ignored the uneasiness and had to fight with the thought of slamming my fist into his freckled jaw.

"Calm down, Mrs—pardon me, Ms Callahan, I forgot about the divorce. Anyway, I came here with a peace offering from your mother."

"What the fuck are you even talking about?"

Elliot ignored the hostility and took a chair from the empty table. Sitting down, he pushed the neatly folded paper towards me. I didn't dare to touch it. Instead, I stated to Elliot, waiting for him to explain what the fuck does he want.

"You'll sign these papers, saying I am the perfect fit for the CEO and I will convince your mother you're not the thought."

Should I laugh now?